42. Meeting Malfoy

Alaina was cooking breakfast the next morning when the owl came carrying Harry's second year school list. Her features twisted with worry when she saw the Hogwarts seal. She had half a mind to go and get the things from Diagon Alley herself and bombard the house with protection charms while she was gone, but she just couldn't bear the thought of leaving Harry alone in the house, and she knew that he would be angry with her. He had so much fun in Diagon Alley the last time that it would be cruel to deprive him of the thrill of getting his school supplies this year. She sighed wearily. She finished cooking the eggs on the stove and then put them on a plate. As bad as she hated to, she was going to have to go get Harry up. They needed to go and get his things today if at all possible. It was just a couple of days until school started anyway. Minerva had been late getting the letter out this year.

She ran up the stairs and opened the door, surprised to see that he was already up and sitting on his bed, fully dressed. He smiled at her.

"Morning, mum."

"Good morning. What are you doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep," Harry answered groggily. He yawned.

Alaina walked in and sat down beside him. "Harry, you don't have to worry about a thing. I'm not going to let anything happen to you, okay?"

"Okay." That had been what was worrying him alright. He couldn't sleep a wink for worrying about what might be awaiting him back at school.

"I've got eggs ready for you for breakfast, then I want you to get ready to leave."

Harry frowned at her. "Where are we going?"

Alaina smiled. "You just got your letter. It's in the kitchen. We're going to Diagon Alley."

A smile spread across his face. "Great! I was starting to wonder when it was coming."

"I had forgotten all about it to be honest." She got up and motioned for Harry to follow.

The two of them went downstairs together and ate breakfast. Alaina washed the dishes afterwards, then they got ready to go. They were out the door in ten minutes and on their way to Diagon Alley. Of course, she had to stop at Gringotts Wizarding Bank and pick up enough money to buy his school things. Harry was strangely quiet the entire trip, not saying a word until they came up to Flourish and Blotts. He only spoke then because there was an unusual crowd around the book shop. That, and he saw someone he knew.

"Harry!" Hermione ran up to him. "How have you been?"

"Good," he lied. He would fill her in later. "And you?"

"Really good. My mum and dad are here. They're inside. I was just getting a bit of fresh air before Gilderoy Lockhart showed up."

"Gilderoy Lockhart? Who's that?"

Hermione placed her hands on her hips. "Honestly, Harry! Don't you ever read the Daily Prophet? He's our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Oh. I didn't know." He wanted to tell her that he had other things on his mind, but again, he would fill her later.

"Do you want to come in with me?"

Harry looked up at Alaina, silently asking her permission. She nodded. "I'll be right behind you. Go ahead."

He smiled and disappeared into the shop with Hermione. Alaina watched them go inside. She searched around her to make sure nothing looked suspicious and then she went inside too.

Flourish and Blotts was overrun with witches and wizards and parents with their children. Alaina frowned in confusion. She wondered who this Gilderoy Lockhart was. As if he had heard her thoughts, he appeared out of nowhere. There was a photographer by his side and they were taking pictures of the man. He was dressed well in a light blue suit. His blonde hair sparkled underneath the light and she could tell by the way he was acting, the bright smiles and the less than subtle poses, that he thought a lot of himself. She watched as his eyes went wide as they rested on someone in the audience. Her heart plummeted when she saw the photographer grab Harry from the crowd. He had been talking to the Weasleys. The man took a picture of Harry and Lockhart and then Lockhart handed him his entire published works free of charge. He brought them down to Alaina with a strange look on his face.