Chapter 23: Mistakes and Memories

Chapter 23

**When you see ( # ) then the flashbacks are over in case you get confused***

Mistakes and Memories

>>>Carter

You know, I remember a time when something like this was one of the best feelings I've ever had.

You see, I've known I was attracted to boys when I was fairly little and that terrified the hell out of me for years at that revelation. At thirteen I had crushes, but never initiated any sort of gestures towards them knowing that was not the smartest thing to do. I merely watched from afar and kept my feelings to myself. I didn't tell friends. There was only one person I truly trusted to tell this to back then.

There was nothing impressive that happened when I first entered freshmen year in high school at Newton high. The faces of students were the same, the teachers weren't any different, and I found everything completely dull and mundane for the time being.

There was, however, the day I bumped into a certain senior while I was rushing through the halls one Wednesday because I was extremely late for a class. My feet rushed, one hand holding an opened bottle of water, while the other cradled the books I quickly snatched out of my locker in haste, not even sure if they were the right ones nor did I care at the time.

I turned the corner, only to bump face first into someone who obviously had more muscles than I did since I was the only one who fell flat on his ass. My water splattered all over me as I look up at the person who simply watched me curiously with deep brown eyes as he tugged on his own wet shirt.

"I am so sorry!" I said in embarrassment, getting up as the realization hit me on who I bumped into. I adjusted my glasses, retrieving the books that fell out of my hands as I stood up quickly. "Oh God your shirt! Um wait, I have an extra shirt in my locker, but... damn it, you're too big. I don't mean big in that way but- well you probably are big in that way too, but not what I meant at first, it's just you are very um. Crap." I face palmed myself hard across the forehead. Shut up Carter. Just shut up.

Yeah, that's fourteen year old me. A clumsy, tongue-tied rambling idiot.

"I get it." He laughed, finding the situation funny instead of creepy. He bent down, picking up my folder off the tiled floors before handing it over to me as I shyly took it from him. "It's alright. It's just water, I'm on my way to Physical Ed. anyways."

"Oh okay, then I'm just going to uh." Go now before I embarrass myself anymore. "I'm already um late so... yeah. Bye."

"Woah, Woah, Woah." He snickered, taking a hold of my shoulders making me gasp softly at the sudden contact. "Can I at least ask you your name?"

"Wha?"

"Name? Like what do they call you? The thing on your birth certificate?"

"Uh... aren't you Patrick Price?" I asked confusingly as he scrunched his brows together, as if trying to understand me. "Why would you want to know my name?"

"Because." He states, running a hand through his dark curls before taking a quick survey around the empty halls, then looked back to me. "I think... You look cute."

My breathing hitched in my throat.

"W-What?"

"Oh I know you heard me." He winked causing my face to heat up.

"Um...it's Carter..." I finally said after a long moment of silence, and I had the nerve to answer.

"Carter huh?" he whispered, as if testing out the name himself. "I like it."