Chapter Three: Telling Tales

Natasha turned her head, surprised at the voice that had spoken. On her left she saw the signature long, black leather jacket, and at this moment an amused look on his face.

Before Natsha could say anything, either in her defense, or in a snappy reply he spoke again, this time she was aware he was holding a folder.

"Fractured wrist, splintered ribs, broken ankle, dislocated shoulder and wounded pride." He read aloud, glancing up from the medical file back to her.

"You forgot laceration to the right side of the head." She answered with a roll of her eyes. Nick Fury walked around the small end table to sit on the edge of it, using his cold fingers to tilt her chin away from him, taking in the bandaging along her temple.

"Must have skipped over that part... So, are you going to tell me what caused the Black Widow to phase out?" He asked, leaning back after a pause and studying her closely.

"How do you know....?" She paused, giving him a sharp look. Fury chuckled at that one, a twinkle in his eye.

"Come on Agent Romanoff, I know everything that goes on with this band of misfits." He reminded her with a smirk. Natasha rolled her eyes again, but then bit her lip. Thinking on how to answer his question.

"I thought I saw someone I knew."

"You know a lot of people."

"This was someone familar."

"Natasha, you expect me to believe the Black Widow froze up on a moving vehicle because she thought she saw someone she knew? Romanoff, I may not be the lie detecor you are. But I know there's more to it than that. So why don't you start enlightening me?" He asked, his eyes narrowing as he looked over her with careful scurtiny

Natasha sighed and leaned her had back against the couch, Fury could see her wills fighting, one to tell him, the other to kick him into next year and leave her alone.

"There is only one other person that nows about this." She said finally moving to carefully sit up, putting her arms across her knees.

"Agent Barton?" He asked, already knowing the answer. Natasha nodded her head before speaking again.

"It was my brother." She said simply, feeling the sudden shock enter the air at her relevation.

"Brother... Natasha, all the intel we have on you, and your past. We know nothing about this." Nick told her, his tone serious, and surprised.

She smirked a little and nodded her head.

"Of course you don't, it all happened a long, long time ago, before I was good enough to be noticed by anyone." Natasha answered smartly. Fury simply raised his eyebrows meaning for her to continue.

"His name is Aleksandr, he and I were recruited together. They wanted a sibiling team to headstart their program... But Aleksandr, he wasn't good enough for them. He was too little. So they were going to take him away from me. We tried to run, but they found out. They got me with a paralyzing dart and they took him away... I never saw him again." She explained, her voice neutral, but her jaw was clenched as she looked back at the spy.

"How old were you?" Came the next question, his expression surprisingly gentle.

"Fifteen."

"So he would have been?"

"Twelve."

"Did you get taught a lesson for the defiance?" She snorted at that one.

"When did I not get that type of lesson Fury?" He nodded his head in surrender before speaking again.

"Natasha, you know what probably happened, if that was even him..." She cut him off before he could continue.

"It was him Fury, I know my brother. It was Aleksandr. And he knows who I am, I saw the recognition in his eyes."

"Just before he let you fall straight over an overpass." Nick reminded her, his tone pointed.

"Everything happened fast. Plus, I didn't expect him to rescue me if he's with HYRDA the mission comes first." She said, lying through her teeth slightly, she had expected some type of reaction from him instead of the blank, hard stare.

"That makes him extra dangerous Natasha, he knows where you are, and more than likely who you work with. He has an advantage, and they never work out very well for us."

"What are you talking about? We've dealt with worse threats than a lone HYDRA agent." She asked, raising her eyebrows, thinking he was overthinking this just a little too much.

Fury reached out to lightly tap the cast that covered over her bare foot.

"How did you get that?" He asked, his eyebrows raised.

"I fell off the overpass." She answered, confused at what he was getting at.

"Exactly, he pulled you out of the game, distracted you, and caused you to lose focus. Attachments are dangerous things Natasha, and with this one I'm not sure if your thoughts are entirely clear." He told her, his face serious, and now stern, like he was about to give instructions to an stubborn child.

"I'm fine Fury, it was one time." She snapped back, her green eyes holding a dangerous glint.

"And its going to stay one time... I'm assigning the Avengers to go after the HYDRA until they get them all... But you are on medical leave until I say so."

"You're not serious!" Natasha nearly shouted, looking ready to kill.

"I am. Until he's caught, and we find out for sure whether he really is who you think he is. You're not going on any mission where you two could cross paths." He said, standing up.

"You can't do that!" She snarled, standing up slowly, but still standing, glaring at Fury with fire in her eyes.

"I just did. And you know I'm right Natasha." With that he started to walk away. Before he turned around as though a thought crossed his mind suddenly.

"I'll make sure they understand to bring him back." He told her, his voice almost gentle.

Natasha watched as he walked into the elevator, the doors closing on him. Natasha watched in silence, before she eased herself back on the couch, a troubled, and angry expression on her face.

Finally she spoke, seeming to talk to herself, but the words were still directed at the man who had just left.

"He'll never give up to you...."