Chapter 3

The sun had just began to creep in the window. After my brother and Niklaus' spew last night, I knew that their archery lessons were over. That didn't stop me from sneaking out of the cottage though.

I made sure to be ever so quiet as I went out, leaving my brother sleeping peacefully inside. A smile grew on my face as I walked out to the clearing. I grew excited once I saw that Niklaus had still come. I hid behind a tree just as I had done the very first day.

His expression was one of anger. He picked up the bow and arrow and shot, hitting it right in the middle. He threw the bow back down in rage before collapsing onto the ground.

I ran out to him, sitting down by him. His face softened at the sight of me. He moved his hand to cup my cheek. He brushed my blonde curls out of the way.

"You came," he said in a whisper. His eyes studied my face as if it would be the last time he saw me. "I didn't think I would see you again."

"I don't care what anyone says," I stated. "I enjoy your company and, although it may be temporary, I want to be with you."

"It makes me so happy to hear you say that," He smiled. He didn't drop his hold on my face. His eyes slowly trailed down to my lips. I watched as they flickered back up to my eyes, as if asking permission.

I leaned in, sealing the kiss. It wasn't full of lust, but it was more of passion. I could feel myself smiling into the kiss, feeling happier than ever.

We pulled away, staring deeply into each other's eyes. We were both gasping for air. We probably looked like we had been running.

"So your sister calls you Nik," I began. He nodded his head, not seeing where I was going with this. "But has anyone ever just called you Klaus?"

"No, I don't believe so," he shook his head.

"May I call you that?" I asked. He raised an eyebrow at this. "Don't laugh at me, but I like to make nicknames. Original ones."

"Well, Klaus certainly is original indeed," he chuckled. "I quite like it actually. Maybe I should start going by it."

"No, only I can call you it," I smirked. He laughed once again before pulling me closer. I threw my arms around his neck as we talked.

"Even better."

•••

"Klaus?" I called out in a hushed voice. It was late at night, and we had agreed to meet in the all too familiar clearing. I glanced around in fear.

Our parents had told us tales about creatures of the night. They had told them in hopes that we would never sneak out. Though I didn't believe their tales, I still found myself in paranoia.

I was met by the eery silence of the darkness. I stumbled upon a tree branch, nearly falling and twisting my ankle. Luckily, someone caught me.

"Whoa, careful Madeline," he chuckled. "We wouldn't want you ruining your foot now, would we?"

"Klaus, where have you been?" I asked him. "I've been out here for a long time! Where were you?"

"My apologies," he frowned. "I was just - uh - having a talk with my father."

"Mikael," I said with a grimace. I had heard stories of the torture Mikael had put Klaus through. It wasn't right to treat a child like that. Or anyone for the matter. I hated violence and violent people.

"I'm fine," he promised.

"No, you're not. He shouldn't hit you, Niklaus. You don't deserve to be treated such. You are so much better than he. I wish he could see that."

"It's fine."

"No, it's not-"

"Madeline," he cut me off harshly. "Please, just let it go. I do not wish to talk about this anymore. Ever. Can we not just enjoy what precious time we have?"

"Are you upset with me?"

"No, I just wish you could understand."

"What is there to understand? Your father is abusing you! And you're standing up for him?"

"He has reason to be angry with me."

"And why is that?"

"It is rumored that my mother has lain with another man," he sighed. "A wolf, and my father believes that I am his child. Therefore, I am nothing to him."

"Because you aren't his blood? But he raised you!"

"No, because he was a wolf."

"You're kidding?" I asked angrily. "And what is wrong with a wolf?" I was beginning to feel offended. My father was a werewolf, and my brother had triggered his curse.

"Nothing in my eyes," he assured me. "But to Mikael, they are abominations. Just as I."

"You are no abomination."

"Then what am I?"

"You're a human being," I answered. "With a heart. With a creative mind. With a powerful soul. You are so much stronger than you think."

"Your family is right," he says. "I don't deserve you."

"No, Klaus. It is I who doesn't deserve you."

"How about we call it a truce? We are both undeserving?"

"I can agree with that," I giggled. "But I do have to ask you something. Why don't you just run away? Why would you continue to let him put you through such torture?"

"Because I was afraid to at first. The idea has crossed my mind, but I have no where to go. Besides, I could never leave you behind."

"Then I'll go with you," I offered. "We can leave after the next full moon. I need to be here for my brother's first transition, but we can leave afterwards."

"You would do that for me?"

"I would," I nod. "I want to run away with you Niklaus Mikaelson. What do you say?"

"I'd be a fool to say no."

A/N: And another update!

How cute is it that she came up with the shortening of his name? Of course, this isn't really where this came from. But I think it's funny that she said no one was allowed to call him that but her, yet he goes by it in the present day. How ironic?

So that makes me wonder, why is she okay with everyone calling him that? Unless she is no longer in the picture... What do you guys predict the reason is? If anyone can successfully tell me why, then I will give them a shout out! So please, do tell your thoughts.

Don't forget to comment, vote, and follow me! Xoxo