Chapter 23 - Under The Sky

Don't play the song until it says so in the story for the added affect. Sorry this took so long. I had this written earlier but I forgot to post it. I have a question, is the pacing of this book too slow? I want to explain certain events in greater detail while moving the story at a rapid pace. It seems to be working (at least for me), but I want to hear from you guys.

-Song: Still Parade - Actors

Keegan's POV

I woke up to my face placed against Theo's bare chest... just like last time. The heat from our bodies made or skin stick together, so my face was linked with his chest. I turned a bright shade of red and my heart raced like I was falling from the sky. I really didn't want this moment to disappear so I laid there, with my head against his beating chest. The sound of his heartbeat was like a metronome or the ticking of a clock. Before I knew it I'd fallen back to sleep. It wasn't until I felt movement beside me that I woke. Theo had just woken, stirring the bed. I jumped back again, apologizing when I realized I was still against his chest. He wrapped an arm around me, holding me from the edge. I probably would have almost fallen like I did last time if it weren't for his quick reflexes. He held me close to him, with our bodies connected.

"Why are you apologizing?" He asked softly, looking me directly in the eye.

I froze awhile before I was able to form a response. "I, I keep getting too close to you. Its not intentional... its just-" I was interrupted by Theo before I could finish my sentence.

"Its fine!" He assured with a slightly raised voice. "I don't mind it actually. I... I sorta find it easier to fall asleep." He spoke slightly tilting his head in the opposite direction. I could feel my cheeks turn a fiery red. The redness only deepened when he pulled me closer to him. I felt like I was lost in a dream. Could he actually really be fine with it? It seemed too good to be true.

I was lost in a daze for quite sometime cause when I came to I realized Theo missing. I heard noises in the bathroom so I assume he was getting ready for the day. I sat on the bed waiting my turn, still flustered.

When it was my turn I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I didn't have anything planned today, like usual. Its Theo that comes up with ideas for the way we spend our day. I felt a little guilty for having to rely on him, but if I was ever left in charge no one would be having fun.

Me and Theo went out and got breakfast today. Theo couldn't decide what to make so we went to the food hall. We just got a couple biscuits and coffee. Today was really nice with the blue sky stretching as far as the eye can see, and the gentle sun warming the gusts of wind. When we returned to the cabin I grabbed a book and headed outside, finally reading outdoors like I planned early on during this trip. I sat on the hill Theo and I slept on our first day here. It looked and felt just as comfortable. The hill was shaded by a few slim trees, letting beams of sunlight shine through.

I focused my attention on the words of my book. The story I'm currently reading is about a historian figuring out the secrets of vampires. He got too deep and involved himself in things he hadn't originally intended on. I'm really enjoying it so far.

(Play the song)  

I spent so much time lost in the book I didn't even notice Theo sit beside me. I was startled when I caught sight of him. He sat there and grinned at my reaction like it was his intention.