Chapter 6

I watch as he walks away, but he quickly stops. His bones begin to crack as if he were turning. Then it hit me. Rumors of his mother's infidelity had been true.

Niklaus was half vampire and half wolf.

The thought of that terrified me. I watched as Elijah quickly ran to his brother's aid. Just as I had done for my brother, but I was too late. I ignored his cries as I stared down at Isaac.

"Isaac, please wake up," I begged. "You're only dreaming. I need you to get up now. Your little sister needs you. Please don't leave me."

"Isaac!" My mother screamed out in horror. Her and my father were by his side. "Oh God! My child!"

•••

The sun had risen, and this time it held a tinge of red; blood. I hadn't slept at all. I had stayed by my brother, hoping he would awake by some miracle. He never did. We buried him under a fern tree at dawn.

Everyone had left, but I lingered behind. My heart was completely broken. The man I once loved had killed my only brother. I was all alone. I wanted nothing more than to rip my own heart out and to lay beside him underground.

I was hurt. The memory of Niklaus tearing into his neck for vengeance. It bewildered me how he could've changed so drastically. Then it hit me. It was love.

Like my mother warned me, love is deadly. Klaus loved his brother, and Isaac killed him. Of course love had ruined him. Just as it has now ruined me.

Nearby a twig snapped in half. I jolted around, but there was no one to be seen. It was daylight. They couldn't possibly be out, but I ran anyways. That was until I tripped over a stump. My knee gushed blood, and my foot was completely twisted.

I sat there crying, clutching onto my foot. Then I saw feet standing in front of me. My eyes trailed up in horror to find Elijah Mikaelson staring down at me.

"Are you alright?" He asked. I nodded in fear as I backed away from him. He looked hurt as he got closer, examining my wounds. "I won't hurt you. Niklaus would have my head if I did."

"You haven't heard of our quarrel then," I frowned, looking away. For some unknown reason, I trusted Elijah. He seemed sympathetic to me.

"No, I have," he corrected me. "But you remain my brother's pride and joy. He loves you, though his actions may seem otherwise."

"He isn't the same," I cried. Now the emotional pain was overlapping the physical pain. I was breaking.

"No, he isn't," he agreed. I watched as he bit into his wrist. I looked away in disgust. What was he doing? "Drink this. Our blood contains healing properties."

I reluctantly grabbed his wrist, bringing it to my mouth. The metallic taste was disgusting against my lips, but I needed to be healed. Sure enough, the scar disappeared and I could stand on my feet.

"Thank you, Elijah," I smiled. His eyes seemed to go behind me, looking at something else. I spun and almost screamed at the sight. Niklaus slowly approached us with a wide grin.

"Hello brother," he greeted. "May you give us a moment?" My heart raced as the other vampire disappeared. I was alone with Klaus. I was sure he was going to kill me.

"W-what so you want, Niklaus?"

"Don't be afraid. I promised I would never hurt you. I just wanted to give a peace offering," he said before pulling out a ring. "It's Lapis-lazuli. My mother enchanted it so we could walk in the sun."

"Why would I need one?" I asked in confusion.

"Because if we are to be together, you must become one of us. You will age, and I will not. This is the only way we can be together for all eternity."

"I don't want to be like you," I shook my head as tears spilled. "I don't want to become a monster."

"Stop calling me a monster!" He yelled in anger. "I have done nothing to you! I am only guilty of loving you unconditionally."

"You're guilty of murder," I whisper as I shut my eyes. I knew I was only upsetting him more. I was now backed into another tree. Scenes from last night replayed in my head.

"I was only repaying Isaac for the evil he had committed against my family," he defended himself. I scanned my eyes along the ground. I needed a weapon.

I fought back a smile as I spotted a branch from the White Oak tree. The Mikaelsons had burnt it to the ground last night, but it appears that a piece had been savored. I sunk to my feet, and Klaus soon knelt down in front of me. He didn't notice my hand grabbing the branch beside him.

"What about the sins you've committed against my family? Against me?" I asked, still crying in fear.

"You should pardon me for them. They are all in the past now."

"How can I forgive you if you are not truly sorry?"

"I will never be sorry for my actions, Madeline. I don't regret anything ever. I do things without hesitation and without remorse. That is power."

"I was right," I laughed bitterly. "You are a monster." I picked up the stick, readying to shove it through his heart, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I slowly dropped it from my grip.

Niklaus turned in confusion to the source of the sound. He saw my hand open and the white oak laying on the ground. His expression hardened as he pulled me back to my feet, slamming my back into the tree.

"You think me a monster?" He repeated angrily. "I will show you a monster." Then he jammed his teeth into my throat. I screamed out, but it was to no avail. No one could hear me. He was draining me.

He released me, backing away in surprise. His expression was one of guilt. I was bleeding to death. He knelt down to help me, but I only pushed him away with the strength I could conjure up.

"I will never forgive you for this," I choked out.

Niklaus' eyes widened when my heart had stopped beating. Tears fell down his cheeks, dampening them. Elijah reappeared, gasping at the sight in front of him.

"She's dead," he sobbed.

"Niklaus I must tell you something-"

"There's nothing to tell, Elijah! Mother is dead. Madeline is dead. Father is coming to kill us. We have no reason to stay, brother. We must leave."

"But Niklaus-"

"Now," Niklaus cut him off. "I don't wish to speak anymore of the matter." He had no idea that vampire blood had been running through my system. I would soon awake in transition, alone and afraid.

A/N: This chapter was crazy!

Klaus killed her! OMG! But that does sound like something he would do. And he refuses to let Elijah talk to him about her, so I guess he'll never know. Well, I don't know that I would say never, but...

Anyways, don't forget to comment, follow, and vote!