31. We Made It

Mix keeps looking at the way Earth's chest is slowly rising and falling, rising and falling over and over again in a steady rhythm

Mix keeps looking at the way Earth's chest is slowly rising and falling, rising and falling over and over again in a steady rhythm. It has been four days since Mix woke up. The doctor told him that they were expecting Earth to wake up today or tomorrow. Since they told him that... Mix hasn't moved from Earth's side for a moment.

At first, Mix was torn between wanting to see Lana again as soon as possible and staying here with Earth even though he knew he had days before Earth would wake up. But then he was able to call Lana and she told him to stay where he is and come back when he can. She will wait. Now when the danger is over, she is helping in Bangkok as much as she can and she is safe, so Mix doesn't have to worry about her. Mix didn't need more convincing. Staying with Earth was his priority after all.

Pond and Phuwin were trying to keep Mix as much company as possible, but they realised pretty quickly that Mix would like to be alone with Earth. So they came to check on him once in a while but most of the time they were helping around with anything that was needed.

"Mix, did you have something for dinner?" Pond asks him, stopping next to Earth's hospital bed.

Mix shakes his head, "not yet. Can you bring me something? Anything really. It doesn't matter."

"Sure," Pond nods. "You think he is gonna wake up today?"

"Yeah," Mix nods. Something is telling Mix that he isn't wrong—Earth is going to wake up today. Maybe in a couple of minutes or maybe in a couple of hours, but he is going to wake up. And Mix will finally be fully happy.

"I hope you are right," Pond says.

"Me too," Mix replies, watching Pond turning around and leaving to get him some food.

"Don't make me look stupid, Earth. Come on wake up!" Mix says teasingly. It's a good thing that he can tease and joke around a little. A couple of days ago, he really didn't even want to look at someone who was joking when Earth was sleeping in bed unmoving as if he was already half dead. But since then Mix thought about everything multiple times. He realized he didn't have to be on edge so much anymore. He didn't have to be worried that zombies would attack them out of nowhere or that Earth would turn into the very creature they were all trying to escape from. And now, they were safe. Earth was safe as well, even if still unconscious, but safe and recovering. Mix didn't have to worry anymore. He really didn't have to.

Mix smiles. It's natural, the way his lips curve up and his face brightens. At first, he doesn't know why he is smiling, but then Earth stirs up and slowly flutters his eyes open at Mix. And it's like Mix knew that Earth would wake up. Like he could feel it in the air.

"Earth, hey..." Mix says softly, caressing Earth's cheek. "Welcome back."

"Mix," Earth frowns. "Zombies!" He grabs Mix's arm tightly and sits up so swiftly and suddenly that it makes his head spin and he plops back down to the bed with a groan.