Chapter 74

Another week passed, and halfway into the second one, things were going rather well.

People were practicing, getting better at defensive wandwork, at keeping themselves safe. Despite the  battle that would break out soon, the weight on my shoulders felt significantly lighter one day as I had watched Lavender disarm not just Ernie, but Michael too, both boys' wands flying into her outstretched hand. 

Theo had become a little more bearable as of recent as well. I tried to keep him company when I could, and now it was almost always the two of us who went to Aberforth's to get food. He needed the time and space away from the group of Gryffindors, and, to be honest, I didn't mind the time away either. 

Of course, sometimes being away for too long had consequences... Such as getting back to find everything in chaos,  voices crying out as we pushed open the portrait door.

"What's happened- Oh Merlin!"

"Is that Zabini?"

"Where's Nott at?"

"Lily- Lily come quick! Hurry!"

"What's going on?" It was with alarm that I stepped out of Aberforth's passageway, a basket of food held tightly in my hands. It seemed in my absence as a small crowd had gathered, blocking whatever emergency that had occurred from my sight. 

"What the bloody hell happened?" Theo said from beside me, and I didn't have time to reply before my basket was pulled from my hands and my wrists were grabbed, someone pulling me through the crowd. It took me a moment to realize it was Michael, his eyes wide.

"Michael- What's happened?" I asked over the others' talk. Michael shook his head.

"It's Zabini-"

"Blaise?"

"He stood up in the Great Hall today, started talking to the Slytherins- Told 'em they shouldn't support the Carrows, that they shouldn't support You-Know-Who." Michael said. "He told them to fight against it all. Parkinson got to him first, but the Carrows- I don't know, Lily-"

"Let me see him!" I had broken away from Michael now, pushing past him and through the rest of the crowd to where they had circled around an unconscious Blaise. He had been placed on a padded floor mat, blood already soaking deep into the material. I could feel my face drain as I took in the injures, the blood, and the way a finger or two seemed to be missing from his left hand. My stomach flipped, and I had to hold my hand over my mouth to keep from losing my breakfast.

"Merlin's- hell! Blaise!" Theo was beside me now, looking horrified. He was the one that snapped me out of my trance and got me moving, barking orders out over my shoulder along the way.

"Theo, get me some gauze! Quickly, we need to stop the bleeding!" I snapped, and no sooner had I spoken Theo moved, for once, without argument or annoyance. He understood the situation, and just how dire it was.

"Michael, go to the potions drawer, I need the usuals, then a calming draught, Skele-Gro and dittany- Just bring the entire thing! And hurry!" My voice was steadily getting higher as I pulled out my wand. "And everybody who can leave this room needs to get the hell out!"

No one appeared to want to argue, and I was left to concentrate on my friend as he bled out in front of me. I tried to focus on what I could do with what I had, cleaning away excess blood so wounds were more visible, and making sure no arteries had been severed. I considered myself fortunate that at least he had a chance. 

Michael  was quick to return with what I had requested. Normally it would've been amusing to see him hurry over with the entire drawer, pried from it's cabinet by his hands. But I couldn't find it in me to smile, instead merely taking the drawer from him and setting it by my side for easy access.