Chapter 6: Hunting

Picture of Riley to the side. Meet him later in this chapter. ------->

_______________________________ 

(Cassidy's P.O.V.) 

*Two months later* 

As I neared my prey I crouched lower to the ground. The wolf was unaware of my presence. The rogue was a dirty looking white color. His eyes were red, which only came from eating other wolves - great a cannibalistic rogue. His leg was obviously injured, twisted at a weird angle. His ear was torn, and he had healed bit marks all over his body. I could see his ribs sticking out through his fur also. I almost felt bad for him. Almost. I had a mission here.  

Logan had trained me for this. Two months of nonstop workouts, fighting and tracking lessons, and endurance training, also known as he made me run laps looking for rogues. He claimed it was for practice, but I said it was because he was getting old and lazy.  

I resent that. I am not that old! Or lazy! I'll get you for that missy. Logan thought to me. Damn, forgot to put my block up. When I agreed to stay with Logan he accepted me into his pack, he was still Alpha of a pack - it just had no members until I came along. I refer to Logan as my dad now. He acts like it; I wish he was my dad. He teaches me new things, feeds me, clothes me, and listens to all my problems. Though I have no problems now that I left my pack, he was there for me when I needed it two months ago.  

I jumped from the bushes I was currently hiding behind and leapt at the rogue. His head whipped around at the sound of my attack, but before he could attack, I was on him. I grabbed his throat between my jaws and clamped down before he could even think about resisting. He was dead. I threw his carcass into the woods; maybe it would lure some other rogues I could kill later.  

I walked back to where I knew Logan was. How was that gramps? I taunted.  

Well you left yourself open for a side attack; you should pay more attention to your surroundings. You could get killed one of these days, you are still a smaller wolf. A large female, but small male wolf.  

Since I've been with Logan, my wolf has grown a considerable amount. I was now three fourths of the size of a full grown male wolf. That was pretty impressive for a female shifter; we are normally a lot smaller, like a fourth of the size.  

Was that a fat joke? "A large female..." I glared at him as best as I could in wolf form.  

He gave me a pointed look. You know that's not what I meant C. Let's go, I'm hungry. It's your turn to pick what we should try.  

I nodded and led the way back to the cottage. I made my way to the trees on the right side of it; it's where I left my clothes. I quickly shifted back and pulled on my clothes. Logan was already inside and in the kitchen, my dream kitchen. I leaned over the counter. "Hey dad, why don't we head into town for dinner today?" The nearest town was like a ten minute walk from here, we were close to the edge of the woods. That's how he stayed so human, he went to town frequently.  

"Yeah, why not? There is a great open mike bar I have been dying to show you."  

"You do know I'm not of legal age right?" I glanced at him skeptically.  

"Yeah, but this place is different, you'll see." He answered vaguely.  

"Okay, I'm going to go up to my room and change. Be back in a few." I turned to walk to my room but stopped and looked back at Logan. "You know you should shower too dad. You smell like dog." I teased. Logan turned at glared at me.