Part 12

~¤~¤~¤~¤~

Josh's P.O.V

I could not get Jayna's scar out of my mind. No matter how hard I tried. Did she do it to herself? Even though she said she didn't. Or did someone else do it? If someone hurt Jayna, I will hurt them.

"Honey, are you okay?" My mom breaks my thoughts.

"Um, yeah." I say and take another bite of the chewy steak my mom made. She's usually a good cook, she's just a little off her game. Since dad's disappeared.

"That didn't sound convincing." She points out.

When I don't say anything she continues. "Girl troubles?"

This gets my attention. I look at her still chewing.

"How did you know?"

"I'm your mother, I'm suppose to know when your troubled." She stands up and takes dishes to the sink. "Does it happen to be that Jayna girl you talk about sometimes?"

What is she? A mind reader?

"Yeah," I sigh. "It is."

She sits back down at the table. "Well, what's the problem?"

I hesitate, I mean she's my mother. But what can it hurt... I am desperate, right?

"Well, I just got her to be my "friend", but while I was opening up to her she just kept pushing me away. I kinda said something about it today and she kinda blew up." I pause and scratch the back of my neck. "Mom, she thinks she's not even good enough to have my friendship. Jayna thinks she doesn't deserve my time. She's pushing me away because she doesn't want me too close. I don't understand, should I just stop trying?"

I watch as my mom takes everything in, and for a second I'm wondering why I'm taking advice from a woman that's having relationship troubles. But again, what do I have to lose?

"Well you obviously care a lot about her. It sounds to me like she's gone through a lot. Like maybe she had someone in her life that treated her poorly. Because she thinks so poorly of herself. I think you just need to give her more time, don't give up on her. Maybe she needs a hero." She reaches across the table and pats my shoulder. I smile at her. "Bring her here sometime, I'll make you guys you're favorite chocolate chip cookies." She smiles back.

"I'll try," I say and sand up from the table. "Chocolate chip cookies sound amazing right now." I chuckle.

"You always say that."

"It's because they always do." I walk into the living room to see a sleeping Liz on the sofa.

I walk over to her and gently scoop her up into my arms. She looks so innocent asleep, so oblivious to the world.

I carry her up the steps to my room. These days I don't even bother taking her to her own room. She'll just end up in my bed anyways.

I put my sleeping five year old sister under my covers, and kiss her forehead.

"Goodnight Liz, I love you." I whisper into her ear.

Before curling into my blankets she whispers back. "Love you too Joshy."

~¤~¤~¤~¤~

Jayna's P.O.V

My mom brings popcorn into my room and we watch movies while we curl up on my bed.

I push play, and put a few pieces of popcorn into my mouth.

"Jayna?"

I look over at my mom. My eyes meet her worried expression.

"Yeah?" I reply skeptically.

"Sweetheart, we need to talk." A frown appears on her face.

"What is it?" I sit up and keep my blanket tight around me.

"Um, I don't know how to put this, or how you'll take this?"

"Mom." I push her to tell me what's going on.

"You have a brother."

"What?" I asked shocked. "You're pregnant?"

She bursts out in laughter. "No, no, no." Her laughter fades.

My face remains grim.

"Honey, your dad was married to a woman two years before he meant me. He never knew of this child." She pauses letting me absorb this new information.

"His name is Grant, he's nineteen. He lives in Florida. Jay, he's coming to meet you."

I don't know how to take any of this, it almost seems ridiculous. So ridiculous I want to laugh.

"Ha ha, mom. Very funny." I roll my eyes and go back to watching the movie.

She reaches over and grabs my shoulders and jerks me towards her. Her eyes are all serious.

"Jayna, I know this is shocking. I know this might scare you. But I'm being serious. Please listen to me. You have a half brother named Grant and he's coming to meet you." She cries.

I look into her eyes and see truth, honesty, seriousness, and most of all worry.

I know she's not lying, I just want to stay in my own little world of denial.

I reach up and hug her, "Mom I am scared."

What if he's anything like my father, what if he isn't anything like my father, what if he doesn't like me... like my father.

"Honey, I know. Just remember I'm here to fight with you."

I have a half brother.