The Plot Thickens

Chapter 17: The Plot Thickens

            Calculus class went by fast. I was too preoccupied to find a way to talk to Willem, to actually know what the teacher was talking about. Loads of subject passed through my brain like sports, class, France, but they didn’t seem like good conversation starters.

I was starting to think that I wouldn’t have a topic by the time the bell rings, and that I would just go up to him and ask him if he likes pony’s or something random, until I remembered that time I heard girls gossip over how Willem knows how to play the guitar.

I could just ask him if he could give me some pointers on how to get started.

The bell rang, a bit later, and as Willem was about to leave, I called: “Willem, can I talk to you for a sec?”

He turned around to see who was talking to him. When he saw it was me his confused expression turned into a smile, and he said with a heavy French accent: “Yes, Will. What do you want to talk to me about?”

I walked over to him, with my bag, and said:” I want to learn how to play the guitar, and I was hoping you could give me some pointers, since I know you play the guitar?”

“Pointers?” He repeated as if he didn’t know what I meant.

“Ehm… It’s like advice.” I explained.

“Ah, je comprends. Well before I can give ‘pointers” I need to know if you want to play the electric or acoustic guitar?”

“Acoustic?” I said hesitantly.

“That is a good choice since it is better for beginners.” He answered nodding.

At that moment, I saw Lena standing outside the classroom waiting for me to come out. I started walking towards the exit of the class, hoping that Willem would follow. Luckily he did.

“So should I get a teacher or something?” I asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

“You can get a teacher, but to learn on the Internet is also possible. Not as easy but it doesn’t need that much money.”

“You mean cheap.”

“Yes, cheap.” He repeated.

Lena chose that moment to come over.

“Hey Will. What’s going on?” She asked nonchalantly.

“Not much. Willem is giving me some tips on how to start playing the guitar.”

“You? Guitar? You’re the most tone-deaf guy I know!” She exclaimed while laughing.

“I can’t be worse then you.” I answered with a smile.

Willem was looking at Lena curiously, with an interested look in his eyes.

“Lena, this is Willem. Willem this is tone-deaf Lena.” I said as I introduced them.

Lena hit me on the arm and I winced. “Nice to meet you.” She said to Willem.

“The pleasure is all mine.” Willem answered with a smile. “I have not see you a lot in this school. How come?”

“I’m a ninja.” She answered simply. Willem got a confused look in his eyes. “I’m kidding.” She quickly said when she realized he didn’t get it.

“Ah, Oui. It is a joke.” Willem said.

“Eh… yes.” Lena admitted. She looked at me pleadingly as if she wanted some help.