3.The Groom Húnt.

Since that day, the house was dull. Only Rithu's voice - trying desperately to cheer us - could be heard.

The rest of us were silent. I was soo gloomy, I felt as if I'm being thrown away from my dearest ones.

This lasted for a couple weeks. Then started to groom hunt. A profile was made for me in the matrimonial column, emphasising my age and Shani dosha.

Proposals started to arrive. But my mom and dad weren't satisfied by that. At last one was fixed. Mr. Vinod Kumar, guest lecturer in an engineering college.

"Ruvee, ye dekho, be calm, and don't speak if you are not asked to. Do u get me??" My mom said, as if I speak whenever I was asked to. I was undergoing my training session for the first meet.

I was to be entered after I was called and serve them tea, then take the groom to the park and have a chat.

I was dressed in my mother's blue sari, and wearing some light makeup and my mom's golden chain. Amma was giving me instructions how to behave to the party.

Papa came inside saying, "Meera, they called just now, they are just close to the school. So be quick, they'll be here soon." The school was just 5 minutes away from home and both me and Rithu attended there till class 4. It was a primary school.

That was when he noticed me, draped in her sari with the help of mom. He gave a sigh. "I never knew my baby had grown to be a beautiful young woman. You were always a baby for me, and now you look like my princess." I could see the tears welding up in papa's eyes. Amma had already started crying.

"Bus Ruvee di beautiful hain, main nahin??' Rithika, my savior , she always had the right timing of entry . She was enough to change papa and mama's mood.

"Tum Kaise beautiful ho jaoenge, you are their son right." I said back. "You can only be handsome."

"Papa see, you are the one who always say that she is the well behaved one and I'm the naughty one, now see who's behaving naughty." She was trying her best to fake tears by pretending to rub her both checks as if there were tears running on her cheeks.

"You people have pampered her so much that she has become a devil now." She said looking at me cheeckly and giving me a naughty grin.

"Devil, me, ahaaan... Then you are a beast, and I'm the beauty" I said signalling myself with both hands.

"You, beauty, hahaha, joke of the year." She said, and by the look that I gave her, she knew better than to reply. So she moved to the next better option.

And she began running around the room screaming, with me trailing behind her.

By this papa and mama started laughing. "Sanjay, you are wrong, these two are still babies, my two little babies." She said hugging both of us, while we still continued to exchange weird faces.

"Haha, yes right. My two little princess. And you two have made me the King."

The laughter died down as soon as we heard a horn outside the gate, and I instantly became nervous, fiddling with the tip of my saree and biting my lips.

"Sanjay, you welcome them inside and make them comfortable, and you Rithika," she turned to Rithu, "make them enough coffee or tea, and call me when you are done. So off with your work you two." Mom said in her bossy tone.

Papa gave me a reassuring look, while Rithu gave me a thumbs up, and both left the room. I turned to mama and saw her adjusting my hair that was in a simple clipped form.

"Ruvee, you do remember what I told you right. And also remember this is only the first, you don't have to say yes if you don't want to. Okay??." She asked. I simply nod my head as no words were coming out of me.