(1) first

"Dex dyed Iggy again?!"

"Yup," Sophie replied. "What do you think?"

"I preferred the pink over this ghastly green," Keefe gagged, cradling the imp in his hands.

Sophie looked over her shoulder. "Well, I like it. And Iggy doesn't mind, either," she added.

Keefe wrinkled his nose. "I don't think Iggy cares what color his fur is." He stroked the imp's furry green head.

"You're impossible," Sophie said, rolling her eyes and returning to the book in front of her. "Now focus. I thought you came over to study, not to criticize the—EEK!"

Keefe had dropped Iggy down the back of her neck and was snickering as the imp crawled his way down Sophie's shirt. 

"Keefe!!" Sophie yelped, and then, without warning, burst into laughter.

The Empath raised his eyebrows. "Someone's ticklish," he commented.

"Just—get—him—OUT!" Sophie giggled, and Iggy finally tumbled out onto her lap before scurrying away. She was still laughing as she hugged her sides and rolled back and forth on her rug, scattering petals.

Keefe snorted. "I didn't think Sophie Foster would be that ticklish. That was quite a display."

Sophie straightened up and shot him a glare. "That was not funny."

"Was too."

"Was not."

"Was."

"Not."

Keefe smirked. "I'll show you how funny that was," he said, and lunged for Sophie, tackling her to the ground.

Sophie shrieked in surprise. "Keefe!! Get off of me!"

They tumbled around the floor like kittens. Keefe tickled her sides as Sophie attempted to grab his wrists, but to no avail. She squealed as he rolled over and pinned her to the ground.

"Gotcha!" he said, his blue eyes gleaming triumphantly.

Sophie panted, out of breath from laughing. "Not quite," she told him, and pushed up on his shoulders to flip them over.

Keefe laughed. "Good one, Foster." He smiled up at her, his arms held in place over his head.

Sophie's confident grin began to fade as she realized how close they were. She could see the small smattering of freckles across his nose and the brighter ring of blue around his pupils. Wow, she thought. His eyes are really pretty.

Still grinning, he straightened up to lean on his elbows, and in doing so he pressed his forehead against hers. "You're cute when you're flustered," he whispered, and then he kissed her.

Sophie could only sit there in shock for a moment before he pulled away with an apologetic look. "I—s-sorry—" Keefe stammered, red-faced, as he sat fully upright so she straddled his hips. "I didn't mean to—"

"No, uh, it's fine," Sophie muttered, blushing, although she didn't remove her hands from his shoulders. "Um. Do you want to try again?"

Keefe blinked, still flustered. "Huh?"

"Like this." Sophie leaned forward and kissed him again, lightly.

It was only a few seconds, but they were long, slow seconds. Sophie drew away, eyes fluttering. Keefe's hands were placed gently on her hips.

He recovered from his daze and smirked. "I am sensing some serious emotions here, Foster."

Sophie rolled her eyes, but she could feel heat rising up her face. "Shut up."

Keefe stared at her for a second longer before he glanced away, blushing. Sophie had to take a moment to realize how weird it was to see him flustered and awkward. His confident, cocky facade had been taken down by... her.

"Well. I should probably go," Keefe said quietly. Sophie quickly sat up.

"Oh, sorry," she said, but Keefe just smiled as he brushed petals off his pants. 

"You can sit on me anytime, Foster," he joked. "Anyway, I guess this study session was a complete failure. We got a little... off-topic." Keefe raised an eyebrow at her.

Sophie blushed but managed to glare. "Get out, Keefe."

Keefe pouted mockingly, then smirked. "Deny it all you want, but you can't lie to an Empath. You liked that," he teased.

"Out."

"Whatever. See you next time, Foster. This study session is not over yet." He winked at her and let the door click behind him.

Sophie didn't even try to hide her smile.