CHAPTER FIVE: From Irisia With Love

When the Oakdales finally dropped me off at home, I sprinted to the mailbox, took a deep breath, and opened it.

It was empty.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So I just closed it as calmly as I could and headed toward the house. I needed peace and quiet to think . . . and maybe bang my head against the wall.

I planned to spend the rest of my afternoon off in my room, but the minute I entered the house, I heard Mom calling me from the kitchen.

She sat at the table, finishing a sandwich. "How was Geoff? Was he excited to go?"

"Yeah, he was. Listen, Mom, I'm going to go lie down for a bit."

Mom looked surprised. "Are you feeling okay, honey?"

"I just need a quick nap," I said, when a pile of papers on the countertop caught my eye. More specifically . . . a pile of mail.

"A bunch of advertisements," my mother explained, following my gaze. "I don't know how much money they waste each year trying to sell us those silly tooth-whitening potions . . ."

I rifled through the mail, my mouth dry. There was an ad from Finale Dental, a couple of bills, a postcard from my mom's friend Mildred who was vacationing in Marina. And then . . . there it was, a sleek dove-colored envelope with my name written on it in elegant gold pen. The return address said: Office of the Council for the Advancement of Fairy Education. I turned it over in my hands, staring at the golden seal in the shape of a seven-pronged crown.

"Oh yes, that came for you," Mom said. "Strange. C.A.F.E doesn't normally advertise."

I didn't respond, as I was busy feeling the envelope. It was so thin. If I'd gotten accepted, wouldn't they have sent more information? Hadn't Jessaline mentioned receiving a packet?

All of a sudden, it hit me. I hadn't gotten accepted. My application had been denied. The envelope was thin because it contained a very polite, three-sentence rejection. I felt as though cold water had been poured over me. Jessaline had been accepted, and I had not. And that was that.

"What's wrong? Aren't you going to open it?"

I had forgotten Mom was even in the room. "Nah, you know what? It's probably just an advertisement like you said," I said, carrying it to the wastebasket. "It's not worth opening . . ."

"Well, open it just in case. What if it's something important?"

Curiosity had gotten the better of Mom, I plainly saw. I moved to the window and stood facing her while I slit open the envelope, trying to think of a quick story. Instead of the single sheet of paper I had expected, an entire sheaf burst out with a popping noise and a flash of color.

I gave a startled shriek and my heart stopped when I saw what was written on the first cream-colored page.

Office of the Council For the Advancement of Fairy Education

7777 Gold Castle Way

Kingsland, Irisia 0-777-0

Dear Miss Noelle Simpkins,

We sincerely thank you for applying to our Fairy Godmother Training Program and are happy to accept you as a summer intern. We received a recommendation from Miss Valentine Jenkins, a trusted staff member, who spoke of you with high praise.

In this packet, please find information regarding Trainee Week at C.A.F.E., which will begin exactly one week from receipt of this letter. Please arrive at headquarters no later than noon on Friday to receive your residence hall assignment.