☽☾ the path less travelled ☽☾

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

☽☾ ☽☾ ☽☾

"-and then, Genesis sparred with Khadra and I felt like a mom being told to pick her favorite child!"

I flopped backward on Donovan's mattress with a guttural groan, covering my face with my hands as I recalled the events from today. Donovan was sitting on one of the accent chairs in his room, his legs strewn unceremoniously over the armrests as he listened.

"What happened?" He encouraged, not bothering to hide his amusement. I sat upright, pouting as I glowered at him.

"I've known Khadra all of my life, obviously fighting isn't her strongest suit. And Genesis is a Sigma who would die for me, do the math. Khadra was almost murdered," I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest.

Donovan bit his lip, physically struggling to compose himself.

"How did Khadra handle that?" He asked, his rich golden eyes glinting with mirth.

"She took that L with the grace of a goddess. Last I heard, the two of them went and got milkshakes after training," I shrugged.

Donovan rolled off his seat and sauntered over to the bed where he sat down next to me. I hesitated a moment before I leaned over and rested my head upon his large, warm shoulder and shut my eyes. His hand lay on my leg, rubbing soothing circles on the top of my thigh.

"You're doing great at training. Jaxon is having a hard time keeping Kadence focused on her normal duties. Every chance she gets, she's scuttling off to join your practice and help," He chuckled, and I hummed happily at the sound of his laugh. "You've captured one of my packmates in your weird, Luna, gravitational pull."

"I hope the rest of the pack will be as easy," I admitted.

It was getting easier.

It had been a month since I began training, two months since I arrived at Night Blood, and touching Donovan was no longer a raging fear that absorbed me into a whirlpool of panic with a dash of lust. Now, it was reduced to slight nerves with extreme excitement every time he was near. I yearned more for his touch. Even at times, I found myself wanting more.

"You'll be the best thing this pack has had in years, Marce, believe me."

I felt his lips press against the crown of my head, and that same silly stampeding heartbeat kicked off, with a hot scarlet brush chasing its heels. This was new...

"Donny?" I nearly fell off the bed as I heard Jane's inquisitive voice just outside the door. "Is Marcel in there?"

"Yeah, Gran!" Donovan called back to her, fighting an impish grin off his face at my panic.

"Oh, good! Good...are the two of you...decent?"

My eyes widened in alarm and I almost shrieked at the innuendo. Donovan's hand clamped over my mouth before I could say anything, a brilliant smile donned his face as he winked at me deviously.