LJ10 - Part 10

With a sketch book placed in my lap, I chewed on my pencil and couldn't focus on anything. My mind kept wandering whenever I tried to put some ideas on paper. Usually, I didn't have a hard time concentrating on what I needed to do but my head wasn't in it. There was an important meeting on Monday and I had planned on spending the weekend solely working on new ideas.

The fact that Camila was out of town should have helped but it did the complete opposite. After sending her off yesterday at the airport, I caught myself thinking about the professional soccer player constantly. At first I had assumed that her absence was a good thing for my work ethics but apparently it wasn't. Even if I wasn't spending time with her, I still didn't get any work done. No matter how silly it was, I missed her already.

Throwing my head back in frustration, I took a very deep breath to start over.

"Get your shit together", I whispered to myself because I couldn't believe that I was so easily distracted.

That reprimand lasted about ten minutes before I was back to imagining what Camila was doing. The little voice in my head warned me that I was falling for her way too quickly. Was it normal to be this invested in someone after just starting to date them? Normal standards couldn't be applied to our situation though. Technically we were dating for a short time but all the history between us amplified the feelings that were involved.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a familiar sound. There was an incoming call on skype and I rushed to my laptop to see who it was. It was obvious who I was hoping for and I wasn't disappointed when I saw that it was in fact Camila calling me. Instantly answering her video call, my face lit up the second I saw her appearing on the screen.

Lauren: Hey you. What a nice surprise.

Camila: Hi. We got a short break in between training sessions so I thought I try calling you.

L: I'm glad you did.

C: I wasn't expecting you to be home on a Saturday, to be honest.

L: There is some stuff I want to prepare for work on Monday. This far I'm failing miserably.

C: Why?

L: I'm too busy missing you.

Camila smiled for the first time and I had immediately noticed there was something off. Although she was obviously flattered by my last words, I was determined to find out why she looked somewhat sad.

C: I miss you, too.

L: You don't look so good. What's going on?

C: It's nothing.

L: Is training kicking your ass?

C: No, it's not that. I just wish I could be there tomorrow for Lara's first game.

L: What game?

C: She has her first soccer game tomorrow. Didn't I tell you? It must have totally slipped my mind, I'm sorry.

L: Aw, that's so cute. I bet she's super excited.

C: She is and she said that it's okay that I'm missing it because I have a game as well but I still feel like crap that I can't be there.

L: You shouldn't feel bad. There will be many more games for you to watch.

C: I know.

It was apparent that the young mother was struggling with being separated from her daughter. I couldn't imagine how that felt on her end. Being part of the women's national team was an honor but there were sacrifices to be made when you were travelling 250 days out of the year. Seeing Camila that upset made my heart ache in a truly strange way-as if I was feeling her pain as well.