Chapter 49

Caught in a never ending loop of 'now whats' and 'what ifs', Michael and I didn't leave his office until ten o'clock that night. With our plans for the evening dashed, I called to tell Sophie that I'd be coming over with Michael, though I decided not to let her know why until we were all sitting at her kitchen table. Gripping her water glass, Sophie listened silently while Michael explained what Corona was planning. I watched the color drain from her cheeks and felt my heart sink with guilt. No matter what Michael had said, I knew it was my fault. I should've seen this coming, I could've been more careful, and I would've done anything to make the situation go away.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

The trance-like expression on Sophie's face didn't break until Michael began suggesting what he thought she should do next. Invigorated by what I guessed was anger, Sophie set her mouth in a determined line and insisted that, no matter what, there was only one option as far as she was concerned: let Corona publish the pictures.

"I don't want him to own me," Sophie said, holding my gaze. After a beat, a flicker of doubt crossed her face. "But I don't want Parker to get hurt either."

"I can handle it," I promised, and Sophie let go of her cup long enough to reach over and squeeze my hand.

It was half-past one when Michael got to his feet and pulled out the keys to his car. Sophie looked up at him while he stretched and I watched Michael hesitate for a moment before moving to the other side of the table with three long strides. Obviously unsure of what he was doing, Michael looked pained as he bent down and pulled Sophie into an awkward hug. In spite of the circumstances, I couldn't help but smile when I saw her reach up to return his embrace.

Everything's changing.

"Sorry, kid," Michael murmured, but Sophie shook her head and pecked him quickly on the cheek.

Tears filled Sophie's eyes and she blinked them away before taking a deep breath. "It could be worse," she replied with a soft chuckle. "I thought you were coming over to fire me."

"Not a chance." Michael pulled back and ruffled her hair. "I can walk myself out. I've already talked to Kelly and they're going to shoot around your scenes, so... You know, take care of yourself."

Understanding the hidden meaning in his words, Sophie smiled. "Don't worry, I know how to keep a low profile." She studied Michael for another moment and then added, "Thank you."

With a nod, Michael turned to leave and motioned for me to follow him to the front door. Two steps ahead of me, Michael didn't stop walking until we were halfway down Sophie's driveway. He placed his hands behind his head and sighed as he stared up at the cloudy sky.

"You can never see any stars in this city," he lamented wistfully before turning to me. He glanced at Sophie's porch before continuing in a low voice, "Parker, like I said back at the office, this is probably going to be ugly -- for both of you, but mostly her."

I swallowed. "I know."

"You keep saying that but I don't think you do."

Michael looked up again and I saw the rings that circled his lower lids. Hit by another wave of shame, I wondered how much overtime he'd have to work to sort this mess out.

"I don't want you coming into the office for a few days," Michael said, absentmindedly scratching his cheek. "Actually, if you can, you should stay here until the PR team can do some damage control. I'm sure Sophie will want the company and it'd be better if neither of you were seen by reporters for awhile."

I didn't need to ask why. "Okay," I agreed, kicking at the ground with the toe of my shoe.

"You have a lot of sick days left but I'll try to see if HR can advance you some paid time off. No promises, though. Depending on how this goes, I might be in a lot of hot water with my bosses."