chapter 42✿

The walk over to Luke's seems to fly by, and before I know it, i'm standing at his front door. I contemplate turning around and just going home but, I know if I don't do this now, I never will. I knock on the door and anxiously wait for Luke to answer. He opens the door and looks better than Michael described him. He's clean, hair done, and wearing nice clothes. He seems just fine to me.

His eyes widen at the sight of me. "May? What are you doing here?" He asks.

"I need to talk to you." I say as I let myself in.

"I know. Me too. I've just been waiting for the right time to come over and I just don't know what to say and―"

"No, I didn't come here to discuss what we are. That's not important right now. I came here because I need to talk to you."

"Okay," He drags on the word. "About what?"

"Well, I started school and―" I start.

"Oh my god I completely forgot! How is it?"

I immediately break into sobs.

"Hey, what happened?" Luke rushes over to me but I put my hand out to stop him from coming near me.

"They told me!" I cry.

"Who? Told you what?"

"Brooke's friends told me about you and Michael! And your little group with Jace! They told me about the Amy thing!"

Luke's eyes widen and guilt washes over his face.

"Oh god. It's true isn't it?" I sob and cover my mouth with my hand.

"May, please you've got to let me explain!" He says.

I can't believe what i'm hearing right now. I stood up for Luke today because I couldn't imagine this to be true. But here I am, learning that it is. Everything I knew about Luke was a lie. I turn to walk out of his house but he grabs my wrist to stop me.

"Don't touch me!" I scream as I rip my arm from his grasp.

"Baby just let me explain." He says. I can hear him choking back tears.

"Don't you dare call me that!" I yell.

"I'm sorry! You have to let me explain! Please, just let me explain." He begs. I literally have to grab my own wrist to keep from wiping his tears away.

"Fine." I say as I walk to sit on the couch. Luke follows and sits on the couch across from me.

"If i'm going to tell you this, you have to listen with an open mind. And no interrupting." Luke says.

"Okay." I nod.

He takes a deep breath. "Okay, yes what they said is true."

"What the fuck is wrong with you!" I yell.

"You said you wouldn't interrupt." He says.

I wave my hand to signal him to continue.

"Two years ago I dated a girl named Amy. We dated for about eight months. I cheated on her a lot and eventually she found out. She broke up with me and then the next day I was already with another girl. Amy got mad and told her older brother everything. So the next day he came up to me, Michael and everybody and tried to start a fight with us. I got a few hits in but Jace did most of it. I barely even remember it because I was so high. After that fight, there were more with other random people. Pointless fights that I can barely remember. I used to just party a lot and get high, hook up with different girls and spend all night out. Eventually, Michael got sick of it all and he stopped. He told me I should too. And then one day when I was actually sober, he sat me down and we talked about everything and the people we have become. We both decided we didn't like those people. So, we stopped. I stopped all the hooking up with random girls. I stopped all the drugs, and we cut off Jace and the group. Then we met Ash, Calum, Cora, and the rest of them. We knew we fit in better with them, and we've just been with them ever since. Jace was always mad though about Michael and I ditching him so when you told him you were Michael's sister, he tried to mess with you. There it is." Luke says.

My cheeks are stained with tears and my makeup is for sure smudged all down my face. I can barely control my sobbing as I bring my hand over my mouth in disbelief.

"Say something." He begs.

"Who are you?" I ask in shock as I shake my head.

I truthfully didn't know Luke Hemmings. I had no idea who the stranger that sat in front of me was.

"You know who I am." He stands up and sits beside me. "Who I am when i'm with you―that's the real me. I haven't done any of that shit in years. Yeah I used to be like that before I met you but that's just it, it was before I met you." Luke sobs.

"Did you cheat on me too?" I dare to ask.

He moves back in shock. "Are you serious? Of course I didn't! I love you!"

"You probably told Amy the same thing!" I yell.

I couldn't help but feel bad for the girl I didn't even know. I felt ashamed of Luke. How could he do something like this? He isn't the same person I thought I knew.

"I didn't! I've only ever loved you! May this was all two years ago. Even before I met you I was clean. I haven't done any of this for such a long time. I guess I just did it because I was a rebellious kid who was acting out because his dad walked out on him. I know it's not an excuse but it's all i've got." He says honestly.

"I need to go." I say as I stand up.

Luke drops to his knees in front of me. "Please don't. Talk to me." He cries.

"I don't know what to say." I whimper.

"I'm not proud of who I used to be. That's why I didn't want to tell you. I didn't want you to see me as that guy." He sobs against my legs.

I instinctively bring my hand to his hair, but immedately pull away. I walk away towards the front door. Just as I am about to walk out, Luke speaks.

"I love you." He whispers.

I may not know who Luke is anymore; but I know one thing. I know a version of Luke. A version no one else knows but me.

I sigh. "I love you too." I say as I walk out and shut the door behind me.

--

A/N SOO IT'S ALL TRUE!! What do you guys thinks about Luke hiding his old life? And what do you think May's going to do about it all? Please comment and vote! I know i'm probably annoying always asking for votes but as  writer, it really boots my confidence to receive votes. I work so hard on these chapters and I try to have an update for everyone everyday! So i'd just really appreciate if you could all take one second to vote! Also..I added pictures to almost every chapter, so you might want to go back through the book and check them out! :) xx