Chapter 11

Padmé stared at the amber liquid that sloshed around in her teacup, her eyes zeroed in on the foam that collected on the edge where porcelain met steaming water. Her thumb circled the rim of the cup itself, anxious to move amongst the tense demeanor of the room.

"More sugar, ma'am?" A tinny voice came from beside her, startling the Senator into looking up and meeting the glowing eyes of a protocol droid, a metallic arm outstretched in her direction and holding an open container filled with miniature white cubes. Padmé smiled politely, shaking her head in dismissal and watching as the droid sealed up the container without another word before heading over to the next Senator.

An elbow nudged her in the side, and she turned to find Bail smiling at her sympathetically. Before the other Senators had arrived, the two of them had caught up on the past few days' events, Padmé having gone on about the new house guest she had. She neglected to mention that Anakin was staying with her as well, of course. Even Bail, her most trusted friend, was left in the dark about their marriage. Not that he didn't have his suspicions though. All in all, Bail had seemed intensely interested in the Starkiller boy, inquiring about him as much as he could before he could be accused of seeking out gossip. The mentioning of a sister looking to be an aspiring Senator made him smile as well, interest piqued.

But now the two of them sat amongst their fellow Senators, listening numbly as they debated the pros and cons of their plans. Politics was useful at times, but other times it was beyond frustrating—especially with a Senate as corrupt as the Republic's.

Mon sat on her other side, failing to keep her composure as she rubbed at her temples. Padmé flashed a smile at her, knowing that if Mon of all people couldn't maintain her Senatorial politeness, then they were in for a long meeting.

Bail shifted in his seat, clearing his throat as he thanked the sugar-carrying protocol droid for his two sugar cubes, the droid almost looking prideful as it managed to help at least one of the Senators. It oddly reminded Padmé of Threepio and his expressive personality, said droid similarly walking around with a tray of tea and managing to keep his fretful comments to himself.

"Now that he has control of the Jedi Council, the Chancellor has appointed Governors to oversee all star systems in the Republic."

Padmé frowned at Bail's words, thinking back to her conversation with Anakin before she left. The Senators in the room all trusted each other, most of them having backed each other for large motions each of them had tried to get passed. They all respected each other professionally, but if Padmé was being brutally honest, only Bail and Mon had her full confidence.

"When did this happen?" Senator Fang Zar asked with a troubled voice, stroking his long beard.

Bail sighed solemnly, "The decree was posted this morning."

"Do you think he will dismantle the Senate?" Padme asked, setting down her drink in thought, growing more distressed the longer the meeting stretched on.

Mon chuckled without amusement, eyes lowered. "Why bother? As a practical matter, the Senate no longer exists."

Senator Giddean Danu leaned forward, crossing his hands together. "The constitution is in shreds. Amendment after amendment." He blew out a frustrated breath, mirroring Padmé's exact thoughts.

Bail nodded in understanding, taking a sip of his tea before sharing a look with Mon. She nodded firmly and Padmé furrowed her brow at them, unsure what they were planning that she hadn't been informed of.

"We cannot let a thousand years of democracy disappear without a fight."

An Alderaanian suggesting a fight; the universe truly was in chaos.