chapter three

chapter three

     I TOOK MY SANDALS OFF and walked through the sand, making my way over to meet May and her friends. To say I was nervous would be an understatement. I was downright terrified.

     What if her friends didn't like me? What if they judged me? Or even worse, what if they knew that I kissed Julia at that party a while back?

     I wouldn't be able to handle rejection from people I've never met.

     "Ashley!"

     May started waving her arms in the air. She was next to a fire pit that already had a fire started even though it was still light outside.

     I spotted Fernando right next to her, along with a couple of other guys and if I looked close enough, there were about five girls besides May.

     I wasn't surprised she had so many friends. I mean, she's May Parker. We became friends the first day we met.

     I finally approached them as I tried to calm my nerves. I want to be accepted more than anything in the entire world.

     "Hey!" May smiled and ran up to me. She hugged me quickly, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make my stomach curl.

     She pulled away and started introducing me to all her friends.

     "Everybody, this is Ashley James."

     They all said hello in response and I smiled.

     "Ashley, this is Fernando," she pointed to the guy I've seen in the pictures she had sent me earlier. I almost laughed at the name, only because I knew his name was actually Grant.

     "May, for the love of God it's not Fer-"

     "This is Kyle and Chase." May interrupted Fernando, causing me to smile in his direction to let him know I appreciated him (which I'm guessing he's rejected often, due to May's quick interruption).

     I looked at the two boys and quickly noted that they looked like your typical skater boy - with the Van shirt and Van pants and Van everything. I smiled and they did back.

     "And this is Olivia, Peyton, April, Georgia Rae, and Lulu." She pointed at each girl as she said their name. I was already confused and couldn't exactly match each name with a face. The only one I remembered was Lulu because she had short blue hair and a small nose piercing. I could already tell that two of them were twins and I couldn't remember what their names were.

     "Hi." I smiled and hoped that they wouldn't judge me. Girls are mean creatures - I can't trust them anymore because one person ruined that for me. "Don't get mad if I forget your names." 

     They laughed.

     "Don't worry about it." One of the twins said, "April and I can confuse people."

     I laughed and nodded my head. It's not even just the twins that I'm lost on, it's every single one of them. Except Lulu and May, of course. Lula had stood out to me since the beginning, and so has May, but that was probably because she poured milk all over me.

     "Alright, let's get this show on the road!" May pumped her fist in the air and started heading towards the other side of the fire pit so it wasn't blowing in our faces. I followed her and stood in between May and one of the girls.

     "What's your name again?" I asked the tall brunette next to me.

     "I'm Olivia." She smiled. "May keeps telling us all about this girl she spilled milk on. I can't believe I'm finally meeting the girl." She gestured her arms to me as if I were some famous celebrity on stage. I laughed.