Banquet

-unedited, be mindful or grammatical and spelling errors-

---

Author's POV:

"Why didn't you kill her?!" The shrieking sound of anger fills the luxuriously-designed and decorated room. The golden seat is carved with phoenix while the table is made of carved red wood with gold layers. Pillars are also covered with gold as translucent silk curtains drape from the ceilings, now being tied up. A red carpet; a color that symbolizes joy and auspiciousness, rests on the floor unbelievably stainless.

"I'm sorry, mother." Crown Prince kneels down, not daring to lift his head to look at his extremely angered mother. The Empress has long suspected Jade, whom she believes to be a spy sent by Consort Shine to gather information about the imperial mother and son.

"Now that you've let this opportunity to slip, I have to think of a new way! But this is the palace! It's not a place where you can simply behead someone!" The Empress huffs, standing up furiously, walking back and forth as she ponders anxiously with her teeth gritted and her fists clenched. She can't let her live, not even for a single second. Even if Jade's innocent, she thinks that it's right to sacrifice a mere palace servant for the survival of the Crown Prince and herself, the Empress. The title which she's worked her entire life for. What's wrong with palace servants dying for their masters?

"Just return to your palace first, Crown Prince. I'll settle this on my own." Empress waves her hand at Crown Prince as she paces her way restlessly but gracefully towards her study chamber decorated with much grandeur.

"Your Son will take my leave now." Crown Prince raises his body carefully, turning around swiftly towards the entrance. He passes by a once-crowded empty palace beside the Empress' palace. The palace used to be his, the palace he grew up with the long-deceased gentle and caring Consort Para. It's a palace rule whereby the future Crown Prince shouldn't be brought up by the biological mother, but other consorts. He misses his youth, when he did not need to fight for the throne and just played around after studying.

As he walks pass the Emperor's palace, there's a massive crowd waiting in front of the palace's yet again massive yard. He recognizes the man who has just dismounted the majestic-looking horse to be General Wales.

"General Wales has returned? Can't be. I just delivered the package to him two days ago. What's inside the package actually?" He thinks curiously in his mind, silently. However, he brushes off his thoughts and returns to his own palace which is a long journey to go.

---

"Greetings, Your Majesty." General Wales kneels down and places his harder-than-steel silver helmet before him, submissively greeting the Emperor afterwards.

"You may rise." The forty years old Emperor sits on his heavily-decorated golden dragon throne. Eunuch Fan stands by him, ready to receive any orders while two plainly-dressed female servants holding two big fans are fanning him.

"Now, speak."

"I have successfully suppressed the uprising at the North. They are now willing to submit to Your Majesty and have paid tributes to Your Majesty. I've brought with me the tributes and placed them outside Your Majesty's palace." The Emperor discerns General Wales deeply, his eyes are sharp as he squints them. Then he laughs happily and victoriously as he pats the throne's armrest with a satisfied grin.

"Reward General Wales with thirty thousand taels! Prepare a room for him in the palace and we'll hold a banquet for our victory in three days time! Let Empress take care of it! Everyone is to attend!"

"I hereby thank you, Your Majesty."

---

Author's POV: