5 Little Brothers

Jonas~~

Colton and I stare at each other for what I think must be minutes. I break away first, feeling my tears finally surface. I head for the window so he can't see them. A parking lot has never looked so appealing, and I wish I was out there instead of here.

"Khaleedi."

I grip the windowsill. "Don't. Call. Me. That." I press my weight into the white-painted wood. "A knife to the throat? Asleep? Defenseless? What has happened to my baby brother?" I look over my shoulder to find him with his head turned away from me.

"I remember when you were two, I held you and thought how I wanted to give you and Gwen the world. I didn't know what that meant. I didn't know I couldn't give two people who were my world the world." In the parking lot, a red car backs out of a spot while I shake my head. "That it wasn't possible to."

"I was trying to do what was best for the country."

"What you thought was best for the country. I always knew you would make an excellent Preeminence. Do you think that it's not fair that I stand here as Preeminence and you don't?" I should be dead. Colton never was supposed to be Beta. He was always meant to be Preeminence. Not me. Heaven help me if he ever were to learn that. "But that's not how fate worked out, and somehow it's me who has ended up in this role."

"That's what happens when you're born first."

I face him, my hands supporting me against the windowsill. "You were gifted with wrath, and I mercy."

"Clearly, you've never experienced your wrath."

I tilt my head, eyes narrowed. "Just because Father and Grandfather were known for their vengeance, doesn't mean every Preeminence—every Beta—must be."

"Do you love her?"

"What?"

"Iris. Do you . . . love her?"

"I'm fond of her." Maybe I could love her one day if I didn't have to spend all my time chasing after her while Colton tries to kill her.

I know it's for the best that I don't though.

"You haven't even known her three weeks."

Pushing off the wall and crossing my arms, I walk past him to the other end of the room. "Why can't I be fond of her?" I let my arms fall to my side and my shoulders sag before walking back to the window. "Is it so wrong to care?" Once I reach the window, I start the cycle again, heading for the other wall. "You love Vienna."

"She isn't Expired. You can't care about someone who is. You are the Preeminence."

"Exactly." I throw my hands out to the side. "I'm glad you know it because it often seems like you forget." He's your brother, Iris reminded me as she left the room. If only he had remembered I am his. "I should remove you from my Order." I dig the heels of my palms into my eyes. "What am I to do with you? How do I know you won't betray me again and try to usurp me?"

Colton kneels, and I stand over him. "Preeminence," he says.

"I could threaten you with the thing you love." I stare down at him with disgust. "But I am a better brother than you."

"Jonas," his voice shakes.

"One more wrong step, and you'll no longer be my Beta."

My brother bows his head.

"Now get out."