Chapter 4: Late apologies and drunken fools

Chapter 4

~Lucas’s POV~

I couldn’t breathe.

I gripped the hands that held my neck trying desperately to loosen them but to no avail, Marcus’ strength far surpassed mine and I already found myself weakening from the lack of oxygen. It was about this time that a martial arts expert’s training usually kicked in don’t you think?

So I raised my hand above my head and brought my elbow down hard on Marcus’ hand trying to dislodge it like I’d been teaching my students for years however, what I probably should have told them was that this particular move wouldn’t work on a level 5 shape shifter intent on squeezing the life out of you; because that was clearly what Marcus was trying to do.

So when that didn’t work I lifted my legs from the ground, wrapping them around his legs then brought my own hands up to wrap around his neck, in an instant he let me go and I fell to the floor gasping for air but he didn’t stop there.

Marcus grabbed my upper arm dragging me across the room and flung me down into a nearby couch, then he bent and grabbed the front of my shirt, looking at me with a murderous expression.

I grabbed his hand and kicked out slamming my foot into his chest and he stumbled back for a second giving me time to  swing out of the couch and just as I was about to tackle him I watched in horror as Marcus reached into his coat and pulled out a gun. I froze on spot holding my hands up in surrender as my blood ran cold.

“Wait, hold on a second-” I started. Trying desperately to find a way to convince him to put to gun away. I still wasn’t quite sure what was even happening. I mean it was no secret that he didn’t like me but I never thought he’d go this far.

“Shut the fuck up and sit down.” Marcus growled and I immediately complied, slowly lowering myself into the couch once more. My hands were still raised and my eyes never left his weapon.

“Marcus I know we’ve had our differences but this is insane-“

“Didn’t I just tell you to shut it?” he said softly, his voice calm yet deadly.

I fell silent and watched in trepidation as he lowered himself into the chair across from me, his gun trained on my head and his eyes glinting.

“My brother may be too fucking caught up with you to realize the piece of shit you really are but I see right through you.”  He said and I remained silent.

“ What do you want from him?” he asked and my brows furrowed.

“I don’t want anything, I-I’m with him because I care about him…” I trailed off when he cocked a brow, appraising me as if I had just lied to his face and I bristled.

“You care about him. You care about him?” he said then surprised me by actually laughing as he seemed to think it over.

“Yes. I care about him, why is that so hard to believe?” I asked, my voice hoarse and my throat burning.

“If you actually cared about him, I wouldn’t be here right now.” He said shaking his head then continued; “For whatever reason, my brother thinks he’s in love with you. He cares more about you than the business he’s worked his whole life to build. He’s putting everything we’ve all worked for an a back burner for you and this is the way you repay him?” he asked. He came off sounding mildly curious but I could hear the undercurrent of anger in his tone.

So Adrian had told Marcus what I’d said then. That explained a lot. As I looked at him I finally began to understand what this was all about. I had thought everything was fine, that he had forgiven me for my cruel words earlier today but I was wrong. I hadn’t even realized how much they had actually affected him and I felt like a fool. I clenched my jaw and looked away.