Chapter 31*

Chapter 31

-Alyssa Taylor-

"Is that what I think it is?" Nima whispers beside me. "Please open those boxes."

"Yeah, whatever is inside these boxes is going straight back so I hope you get a good look." I sigh. Hopefully I hate whatever's here, so I don't get too attached.

"Sure they are," Nima says with ease. I pick up the lid and see three pairs of shoes. Not some basic sneakers or sandals. These were some legit heels. Goddammit Ryan.

"Oh my god, he didn't," I gasp, staring at the heels.

"He did," Nima grins, "and they're beautiful and you're never returning them."

"Who does he think he is giving out gifts and stuff like this. Doesn't he have a budget?" I sigh.

"He's Ryan Fox," Nima says, picking up a shoe with a crystal encrusted ankle strap. "This probably doesn't even dent his bank account."

"It'd dent mine," I say picking up a black, suede heel with gold leaves. Shit, how did he even know I have a soft spot for shoes.

"Well, you're not paying for them," Nima says, putting the shoe back next to it's counterpart. "If you forgot already, Ryan's your boyfriend and this obviously looks like a gift. It even has a note."

I snatch the note from his hand and give him my best stink face. "Where'd you even find that?"

"You were too enamored by the shoes to see it," Nima says with a cheeky grin.

"Shut up." I said opening the card. I quickly skim over its contents and close it before Nima can peek over my shoulder.

"What does it say?" Nima whines.

"I have a date on Thursday," I shrug. "and that I should wear a pair of these shoes."

"Anything else? You closed that note really quick and there are a few condoms in here," Nima says with a nonchalant smile.

"Nima!" I cry.

He recognized my accusatory tone and showed me a strip of the condoms. "Not my size."

"Nima!"

"Dude, just call him. They probably just ended up in there by mistake. He was packing the super pretty heels and accidentally knocked a strip of condoms in. Happens all the time, no big deal."

"Okay, okay, I will," I say, pulling my phone out of my pocket.

"Put it on speakerphone."

"No."

"Uh, hello? Alyssa? Is that you?" Ryan said through the phone. "Did you open the thing yet?"

"Yeah, hi. I did open the gift. Thank you so much." I said.

"Did you like it? If you didn't I can get you different pairs. I didn't spend too much time picking them out, well, I had help too. Are we still good for dinner on Thursday?"

"Of course I liked them, and yes, we are still good for Thursday." I assured.

"Great, great. Make sure to wear something nice. I specified in the card, but just in case you forget."

"Yeah, uh, were the condoms in the box there on purpose?"

"What?" The eager tone in his voice dropped. "Can I call you back later."

Before I could say another word, the far sound of Ryan yelling "Matt" filled the room. "Well, I didn't need speakerphone to hear that." Nima quips.