How Things Function

After Chanyeol got his full view of Baekhyun whining on the floor, he nudged him with his foot. "I know I keep telling you to get on the floor, but I meant that in a way that involved you cleaning it."

"Was that a joke?" Baekhyun retorted as he slowly pushed himself up. "Because if it was, it went in a little dry."

Chanyeol scoffed as he moved to where Baekhyun had left the meat. Grabbing the bowl that they were in, Chanyeol eyed Baekhyun who was using the counter to keep himself up. "At least you didn't break anything."

"Right." Baekhyun threw Chanyeol a look. "Wouldn't want me suing you."

"No, but what I do want you to do is clean that up so your sassy self doesn't slip and fall again," Chanyeol said, nodding to the small vinegar puddle. "And go wash after you're done. I don't want you smelling like vinegar."

Baekhyun rubbed the cheek that broke his painful fall and kneaded it. He hissed, but nevertheless moved and bent his legs, trying to get some blood flowing through them, especially in the knee area.

"Fine," he grumbled as he began to stiffly waddle himself out of the kitchen area.

Chanyeol walked over to back door, but turned his head just before Baekhyun disappeared in the hallway. "Change your clothes too."

Baekhyun stopped walking and back tracked into view. "I changed three times today," he said frowning.

Chanyeol raised a brow. "Well now you have jeans with vinegar on them. Change."

Baekhyun paused for a second before tilting his head and offering a smile. "Wouldn't it be more efficient to just blow dry—"

"—Baekhyun," Chanyeol interrupted. "Change."

Baekhyun dropped the smile and made a face before he turned back down the hall. "It would've been more efficient!" Baekhyun said with his voice echoing in the hallway.

"I didn't want you smelling at the table!" Chanyeol called out as he slid the back door open. "I didn't wanna feel like I was eating with a hobo!"

"I was homeless you know!" Chanyeol heard Baekhyun yell out from afar.

Snorting, Chanyeol stepped outside. "Homeless," he muttered. "Right."

The next time Chanyeol saw Baekhyun, he regretted not specifying how he wanted him to "change". Upon hearing the back door slide open, Chanyeol turned his head around and realized his mistake when he saw what Baekhyun had changed into.

Gone were the jeans. The simple shirt and Baekhyun's beloved cardigan were gone also. Instead, Baekhyun wore pajama pants with pink vertical stripes on them and a graphic T-shirt with a ketchup bottle saying "What's up, Dog!" to a hot dog character.

Before Chanyeol could comment on his appearance, Baekhyun gave him a smug smile and a shrug, signaling the universal "I don't care what you have to say so don't even bother" body language.

Chanyeol settled to frowning before turning back around to keep his eyes on the cooking meat rather than on Baekhyun's comfy appearance. His attention was only cut when he felt Baekhyun brush against his side. Looking down, Chanyeol asked, "What're you doing?"

Hugging his arms from the cool night air, Baekhyun looked up, giving Chanyeol a nice view of his eyes in that fading sunset setting. "Checking to see if you're cooking my steak right."

Chanyeol looked away. "Go back inside, Baek. I'm not gonna burn them—"

"You misunderstood. You can burn yours as long as mine's perfectly well done."