chapter nine

09 x i know him but i don't like him

>>

[ Third Person POV ]

"You idiot!" Kravinoff snarled at Robbins as the two tore into an empty building. He turned and glowered at the younger man, fury in his eyes. "You were supposed to be waiting for me closer than that! What were you doing, taking a walk?"

"Oh, it's my fault?" Robbins demanded irritably. "You weren't supposed to come out for another twenty minutes! And when you did, you were supposed to have him with you!"

"I couldn't! The two lovebirds were in the room with them!" Kravinoff shouted back, beginning to pace back and forth. "Just wait until the boss hears about this, he's going to be furious-- we were so close!"

"And somehow you're going to blame me?" Robbins retorted, but his voice didn't have near as much vigor as it used to. He scoffed then, shaking his head as he leaned against the wall. There was an evident distant look in his eyes as he stared at the wall. "No, no way. It was on you. You blew your cover."

"That was a risk we had to expect!" Kravinoff growled, still pacing irritably. When he wasn't greeted with more arguing, he glanced over at Robbins, his brow still furrowed in anger. He began to slow when he realized that Robbins was no longer paying attention, his features morphing to annoyance. The younger man and he so often bickered that he was used to getting fast comebacks; whatever had happened in their escape had clearly knocked something loose in his head. "What is your problem?" he finally demanded of the other. "You're acting like you've seen a ghost. So we had a few Avengers on our tail; you've surely had worse. Or so you've claimed," he retorted, unable to resist another jab.

Robbins didn't respond in kind. He scowled at Kravinoff, crossing his arms tight over his chest and giving the older man an irritable look. "I have had worse, and it's not like I need you to believe me," he eventually muttered.

"Then what is your problem?" Kravinoff demanded, determined to get to the bottom of the situation.

Robbins sighed loudly, and for just a moment looked past Kravinoff out the window, before finally looking at the man he was forced to work with. "I know the girl."

Kravinoff's brows arched inquisitively. "You know Goldstreak?"

Robbins nodded shortly. 

Kravinoff groaned audibly, shaking his head and continuing pacing. "You absolute idiot. You can't let that phase you! You'll ruin everything!"

Robbins scowled. "Oh, shut up. It's not going to be a problem."

They both glared at each other as Kravinoff growled, "It better not be."

>>

[ Megan's POV ]

"All right," Tony said, clapping his hands together as he takes a few steps around the room. Pietro had gotten all of the available Avengers into the room, and had sent Ev and Peter back to Peter's house. "This . . . is new. And such a problem," he declared, before turning toward me. "Let's start with you."

"Oh, I'd really rather not start with me," I sighed quietly. Pietro was seated beside me on a table, and had one arm around my back, propped up on the table.

"I think we should start with you," Pietro encouraged. "You freaked out . . . a bit."

"I think a bit is an understatement," Steve mused. "When I saw you your hands were still glowing. Whatever happened while you were chasing not-me spooked you enough that it caused your powers to freak out."