CHIHIRO

I haven't been to many places here in the Spirit World, so I had no idea it was this big. Honestly, I didn't even know Kuiboia even existed. 

I kept on getting stares as Kao and I followed the signs to the entrance of whatever it was, but they quickly went away after a time. I guess the other spirits were really intimidated by Kao. 

"Don't worry," he said, patting my back. "I'll take care of you if any trouble comes along."

Finally, we made it to a large black gate. Behind it, lights hung along the street lamps, and just ahead was a festival. 

"Oh my goodness," I gasped as we slid through the entrance. Kao laughed at my shock.

"Surprise," he whispered, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "I knew you'd like it."

When he did that, I felt uncomfortable, awkward. I carefully slid his arm off and slid by him, now walking in front of him. I felt his stare on the back of my head. He wasn't acting like the No-Face I knew. What was going on?

The moonlight above us reflected on the white tents in front of us. A crowd of spirits scattered all around the place, buying and selling and eating to their content. I had never been to a big gathering before, let alone a festival, so this overwhelmed me very quickly. It was a beautiful sight, this place. If only Haku was here to enjoy it with me. 

Haku. 

A sudden sadness crept over me, and I stopped in my tracks. Suddenly I felt Kao's warm arms wrap around my neck, holding me close. I held his arm tightly as my tears escaped at the thought of Haku on a train, leaving far away from me, throwing away our life together. I still couldn't believe it, didn't want to whatsoever. Something wasn't right. 

"He can't be gone," I whispered, closing my eyes as the tears fell. "He just can't be. He.. He said he loved me."

Kao propped his head on top of mine. 

"Looks like he didn't since he left," he commented, letting go and taking my hand. "Let's go." 

Unexpectedly, I was pulled toward a big mass of tents and spirits. The wind blew in my hair as I made my way from booth to booth. I was fascinated by all the things the Spirit World had to offer. In the center of it all, young spirit women danced around their partners as visitors clapped on to the beat of the music. For the next hour or so, Kao and I had a great time at the festival. We bought souvenirs, ate food I never even knew about, and spent a lot of time together as friends. Still, throughout it all, my mind was on Haku. 

Eventually, large crowds began to appear, and Kao and I made our way to a spot not many people were at. I leaned against a post and looked up at the sky. I took a sip out of the drink Kao got for me. 

"It's beautiful, this night," I said, sighing. "Wouldn't you agree, Kao?"

He didn't say a word. From the corner of my eye, he was looking at me. I turned to him, meeting his gaze. The moonlight reflected off the purple swirl in his eyes. Then, he looked down. 

"Chihiro," he breathed. "I have a confession to make." 

I tilted my head at him. Suddenly, his body faced me. Kao took a deep breath, taking my hand. 

"For as long as I've known you, I've loved you. I still remember the time you stood up to my gluttony and anger. You were the only one that would talk to me, and I thank you for that."

My eyes widened. I knew something was up. Kao continued.

"Because of you, I am a different spirit. Hell, I changed my appearance for you! I love you, Chihiro Ogino. I want a life with you. Forever. Most of all, I want your love. I need your love. I need you."

My stomach flipped inside me. 

"Kao," I explained, trying to pull away from him. "You know I'm in love with Haku."

Without warning, his grasp tightened, and I could feel my bones pop. 

"I know that this is a lot to take in, Chihiro," he said, ignoring me, "but I've waited ten long years for you, and to tell you everything." 

He started to growl, and the pain in my hand worsened. I was stuck. My other hand shook, making the drink fall to the ground. 

"Think of what we could have together. I could give you anything, everything, you could ever want. Just say you love me, Chihiro."

I shook my head vigorously as I watched Kao lean in closer and closer to me. 

"No," I protested, my voice cracking. "I don't love you. I never will love you. My heart will always belong to Haku."

His teeth bared, and his eyes lost the comfort they once had. Instead, there was rage. Red joined in with the purple, a demonic sight. I tried to fight myself free, but that just made things worse. He wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me so tightly that I could barely breathe. His face was so close to mine that I could feel his breath on my lips. 

"You're not going anywhere until you forget about that son of a bitch," Kao threatened. 

Just as I began to lose the feeling in my body, a great gush of wind blew behind me, making my ponytail blow in my face and Kao's. 

"Let her go, Kao."

I turned my head around to find the one person I truly needed, just in time to save my life.