Chapter Eight: It's Not What It Looks Like, Fiona

**

Cows. Cows are all I see, and frankly they aren't a welcoming sight.

My mouth twists and curls like I'm tasting something sour, when it's only the smell of cow manure and the sight of actual livestock outside the car window.

"I take it it's her first time out in the country?" The driver asks Sebastian. All Sebastian does is shake his head.

I think twice about saying something back to the driver, but I'm so focused on the animals outside, actual animals, outside of my window, that it only crosses my mind.

The plane ride to Tennessee was horrible in itself. I tried to make amends with Sarah after my rude comment shook her the wrong way, but she wouldn't budge. And I didn't want to try any further because the aurora she was giving off made me believe she would tackle me in the aisle right then and there. So, I sat in my seat, and watched Sebastian converse with Lucas and Sarah. He was happy talking to them, which means he's comfortable with them. And that also means he isn't comfortable with me, which is an issue. After the opera fiasco I can't find it in myself to trust him enough to handle the press on his own, but if I can acquire the trust of Lucas and Sarah, this operation can gladly pass with flying colors.

A little talk with them once we arrive at Fiona's house will do the trick.

"Well ain't this the funniest thing," the driver says, interrupting my thoughts, "you look like you're in another world or somethin', ma'am."

I smile, sneering at the same time, "Yes, well, this is my first time being in an environment so...rustic."

"Not surprised," I hear Sarah say from the back of the car. I ignore her.

We sit in silence, the SUV moving smoothly on the now dirt road that is surrounded by grasslands and fences. It seems to go on for miles, with hills in the distance and trees that are part of a forest even farther ahead.

I glance over at Sebastian and watch him intently. He's looking out of the window, his eyes deep and intense while he stares at the landscape. If I didn't know any better, I'd say the Tennessean country and him have some unsettled business, the way the anger appears on his face. Still, I keep my mouth shut-I don't want to start any unwanted confrontation before we even get out of the car.

After a few minutes of driving, there's a sign up ahead that reads "Vaun-100 Acres" before more trees appear on either side. I clench my hands together, an act of nervousness that I refuse to admit. I have never met Fiona, only heard fragments about her, so actually meeting Sebastian's mother will be a very interesting interaction. I just need to remember what I'm here for. Get in, get the press and the public on his side, get out. All while making sure his siblings don't hate me along the way-that would hinder any growth in the plan tremendously.

Hopefully his siblings aren't already there.

"You look nervous," Sebastian says, looking at me.

I don't meet his eyes. "I'm not nervous."

"Yes you are. It isn't anything to be ashamed of. I think you and Patrick will get along perfectly. Everyone else...hm, not so much."

"I don't need the jokes at the moment. Sebastian. If anything, you should be the last one joking about anything. You ruined an Opera and Felicity's reputation."

He shifts in his seat so his body his halfway facing mine, "I didn't ruin the Opera. I saved it. Saved everyone from that...mind numbing...screeching."

"How...rude! You don't feel any regret or guilt or-or...emotion at all about being responsible for the loss of some woman's hair or the 'slip' of an extremely inappropriate comment about Felicity Felix to a group of reporters?"