Chp. 37

A few days passed after Easter, no sign of Milo and no sign of Evan. It was agonizing waiting for him to turn up, and it was like Drew could no longer focus on one specific thing at a time. Losing Milo had been a seriously low blow, and I also had a feeling that this could've been purposeful on Evan's part.

It wasn't until the Friday after Easter when I got a call from Maria, "Bree, I think I found Milo..."

The tone of her voice shook me to the core, and I couldn't help but feel my heart clench in sadness. I responded, "Where?"

"He's um... On Fourth and Main. He got hit, Bree."

I closed my eyes, feeling my heart constrict in pain at the thought of telling Drew. I knew I would have to do it, and I knew she wasn't going to like it.

I shook my head, "Thanks Maria."

Telling Drew had been a nightmare. I could see the anger in her eyes laced with sadness, but she didn't cry. It worried me, but for all I knew she could've seen it coming.

The rest of the weekend passed slow, emotions running higher than ever. I could tell she was still hurting over losing Milo but her sadness had finally paired up with anger. There was a rage building inside of her that she had trouble controlling. The look she held was scary, and she held it quite often, like she couldn't shake the thoughts of her step-brother from her mind.

It had been Sunday night, a few days after I had delivered the bad news about Milo whenever she had apparently had enough.

I watched her from the kitchen as she emptied Milo's old water bowl, throwing it into the trash and then doing the same thing to his food bowl. Once again she refused to show any emotion, which in my opinion was quite frightening, but I kept quiet.

Until she noticed me watching her, causing a reaction, "What?"

I felt my heart drop at the sound, a scary expression in her face. I shook my head, "Nothing, I'm just worried-"

"Please," she cut me off, "Please don't say that again."

I just shook my head in confusion, "But I am worried about you..."

She nodded, "Yea I know, you've told me about a hundred times this week."

I knew she was right considering she hadn't tried to open up to me about how she was feeling since Easter. I was hoping if I told her enough she would open up but it seemed to be doing the complete opposite.

I tried to stay calm, "I just want you to talk to me..."

"I don't want to talk," she bowed her head as she closed the trash can, turning her back to me and heading to her staircase.

I took a deep breath, attempting to calm my nerves and tell myself that she was hurting and I needed to be patient.

I called out, "I'll leave... If you want to be alone...?"

She turned, her gaze not even falling on me as she stood at the foot of her staircase. She shrugged, "I think that would be good."

I waited for her to walk over to give me a hug, or a kiss, or just to say bye but she didn't. I didn't know if I was overreacting by being hurt over that, but when I stepped out of her apartment I felt tears form in my eyes. I didn't understand why she was being like this, and I knew it couldn't all be because of her losing Milo.

Was I doing something wrong? Was I smothering her? Should I just back off and give her the space she needed before she pushed me away for good?

If only she would talk to me...