chapter four

chapter four

I BEGAN TO THINK A LOT about the party and May Parker. I laughed about Fernando and his weed while I doodled in class. I've looked at Julia a lot less and I smiled a lot more around Mason.

Mason: so what do u say? Tonight? Pick u up at 8?

I smiled and rested my head on to the palm of my hand as I stared down at my phone. I began to type a response as soon as the boy next to me, David, looked down at my phone as well.

"You're dating Mason, right?" He whispered below the volume of the video that was playing in class.

I slowly nodded my head and locked my phone. I slid it into the pocket of my cardigan without finishing my text.

"Huh, that's funny." He chuckled to himself and shook his head.

I furrowed my eyebrows together and tilted my head.

"How's it funny?" I croaked. I hate talking to people when I'm not forced to do a group project with them or something. I can't do it on my own.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "I guess I thought you were into that lesbian shit, you know?"

I clenched my teeth as I felt my face flush red.

"Nah, but it's okay. I guess I thought wrong." He attempted a smile before going back on his phone to play some sort of game.

I looked down at the floor and tried to prevent the tears from spilling out of my eyes.

All these months I've tried to move on from the past but no one else will let it go. No one understands how many things I have lost because of one simple night. A night that was supposed to be fun and relaxing.

When class ended, I rushed to Mason's locker and met him there. I was relived when he hugged me and kissed the top of my head. Then I was shocked when I pulled away from him and saw Julia look at me from her locker.

Julia was looking at me.

For the first time in months, I had caught her eye.

My heart sped up and my throat dried out.

She quickly looked away and began to talk to some friends as she leaned against the locker.

"What's bothering you?" Mason questioned. He turned around to look at what I was looking at.

"Nothing, I-"

"Are you upset about Julia again?" He asked as he turned back around to face me.

I gulped.

"Ashley, babe, I know you guys used to be best friends, but I think you need to move on now." He suggested. "You can make new best friends! Easy."

I sighed.

"I know, I'm sorry." I apologized as my heart dropped a thousand feet below me. "You're right."

"What would you do without me, huh?" He wrapped his arm around me and started walking me down the hallway.

I just laughed and shrugged my shoulders in response. For some reason I didn't have the energy to talk anymore. I couldn't form any words as I felt my heart break into millions of pieces.

I guess no one really understands.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Later that day, around eight fifteen, Mason picked me up and brought me to the Old Spaghetti Factory. We talked and laughed and he made me forget all about the conversation we had in school earlier.