Sucky Chapter

For weeks straight, more information was released about me. I didn't leave the tower during the day. I stayed in the lab, looking for Jace or training most of the time. SHIELD was keeping an eye for Jace and any different publishing places. I knew he was behind all of this. He had to be and I was done with being hurt by him. It was my turn to hurt him, and trust me, I will. Tony and Steve wanted to go after him as well, but this was my fight, not theirs.

"Clara," Tony's voice brought me out of my thoughts and I looked up, "Pepper has an idea you might not like, but-"

"What is it?" I cut him off as he and Pepper walk into the lab. I was glad that Bruce had gone out to get some lunch. Tony looked to Pepper and she nodded. I looked back at the screen in front of me. It was blurry footage of what could be Jace and a red head walking out of a car in Hell's Kitchen. I gritted my teeth.

"The media is casting you in horrible light and we need to clear your name. So I think it's time you released a statement." Pepper says and I look up, my eyes wide. The last statement type thing I did by myself was when Tony was kidnapped and it didn't go well. I pushed those memories away and shut my eyes. I rubbed the bridge of my nose and shook my head.

"No I can't-"

"Sis, listen. You need to do this. People starting to hate you and they shouldn't. And we already scheduled one for later this week. Press only." Tony says and I open my eyes, sighing.

"God damn it." I mutter, looking at my brother and his girlfriend. "You two better be onstage with me. Pepper, you know what happened last time." The woman nods.

"Got it and I am guessing Steve is coming as well." The red head grins and Tony groans, starting to pull Pepper out of the lab.

"No! He is not!" He shouts as they leave.

-
-
-

"You look nice." Steve tried. I look at him, smiling nervously. Tony rolled his eyes and made gagging noises. I sent a glare my brother's way. I rubbed my sweaty palms on my navy blue dress as Pepper fixed my hair.

"Thank you, Steve." I replied and he smiled at me. He was going to stay back here and watch everything from back stage. Pepper finished and stepped back, her red lips drawing up into a smile. She checks her watch and nods, handing me my index cards.

"Alright it's now or never. Let's go." Pepper says. Tony stands up, fixing the tie on his suit. I let out a shaky breath and Steve smiled at me. I smiled back and press my lips to his cheek. He blushed and I chuckled, my worries disappearing for a moment. I smirked and I followed Pepper and Tony out on stage.

Dozens of cameras flashed. My heart was beating so loud I swore everyone could hear it. I held my head high and switched over to the confident Clara Stark. I gripped my index cards as Pepper stopped in front of the podium.

"Clara Stark has prepared a statement. She will not be taking any questions. Thank you." She stepped to the side, standing next to Tony. I smile and nod at Pepper as I walk to the podium.

"What a turn out and all just for me." I smile and people in the crowd chuckle. I cleared my throat and stood up straight. "Now, there's been speculations going around about me and I am here today to tell you them truth." I tuck away the notes and look at the crowd, looking at the first thing on the list.

"The first thing I am going to talk about is the supposed abortion I had." The crowd murmured and pictures were snapped, "Now I will say this, I was pregnant." The crowd becomes louder, so I raise my voice, "I am sure as you know when I served overseas, a fellow soldier kidnapped me and dragged me away. I was M.I.A for a while and during that time I was raped by the man who took me." I looked down for a moment, knowing Pepper and Tony's gaze were on me, making sure I was alright. A tear rolled down my cheek as I inhaled and exhaled slowly. "And I got pregnant and during that time, I miscarried. The information that was given wasn't all of it." I cleared my throat again, wiping away the tear and the emotions.

"The second large thing is my suicide attempts. Before the leak, you guys only knew of two, but in actuality there was ten. That one's true. Now let's see," I go through my notes, "Yes I do have a boyfriend, that's not important. I did take a break from the lime light for a few years. That's not how I got my powers and the rest of 'em are lies. Don't believe what you read on the Internet, people." The crowd chuckles and I look at Pepper and she nods. I step back and she talks to the crowd.

"And that concludes everything." She says swiftly as her and Tony lead me backstage. The crowd's in uproar. I laugh breathlessly as we go back into the room where Steve's waiting. He turns around and smiles.

"Holy fuck that was terrible. Never doing that shit again."I say and grabbing a nearby water bottle, downing it. Steve frowns at my my colorful language, but doesn't say anything.

"You alright Clara? You sped through those questions quickly." Tony says and I nod. I look at him, putting the empty bottle on a nearby surface.

"I am sure the press got the message, Tony. Clara did a great job." Pepper says, smiling at me. "Well Tony and I have lunch to go to, but I am sure Steve can give you a ride." Steve nodded, smiling softly at me. Tony made gagging noises and Pepper dragged him out an exit.

"You brought your bike?" I asked with a grin, putting on my glasses and leather jacket. Steve chuckled and held his hand out for me.

"Well I don't have a car so I did." He grins as I take his hand. He slipped his aviators on as we walked out the back entrance. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh shut up Captain." I smirked as we walked out the door and to where ever he was allowed to park his motorcycle.

"Never, Agent." He replied, the grin on his face- to which I rolled my eyes.