Lena's Voice

This chapter is dedicated to CaaBooKey.

  Chapter 18:             Lena’s voice

“I know who you are cupid, but do you know who I am?”

I froze in shock. This text could only be from the heartbreaker.

I looked around the hallway, half-thinking that I would find the heart breaker standing in a corner laughing at me.

No such luck.

I checked my phone, and tried to find the phone number of the sender.

The number was blocked, and I had no way of calling them, or sending a message back. I groaned in frustration, and almost smashed my phone to the ground.

Luckily, I stopped myself.

Kim’s father worked in the police office. Maybe he could trace the phone number, I thought.

With new hope in my heart I went home, but during my bike ride I started thinking. Only someone that was close to me could get my number right? It wasn’t in the school files, and only a few of my friends had my number like Lena, Lance, Calvin, and Nicole.

A feeling of dread took over. It couldn’t be one of them. Could it? I shuddered at the thought of having the heartbreaker so close to me.

Maybe the heartbreaker got my number thanks to his or her powers. I didn’t know exactly what they could do though, since I never really met one, and the elders never told us, but I doubted that they could get a phone number just like that. I didn’t want to suspect my friends though.

Maybe it wasn’t one of them, and they had given my number to someone who asked for it. That was highly possible, but that still meant that the heartbreaker was someone I knew. They wouldn’t give my number to just anyone that asked. The heartbreaker would have to have given a reason for wanting it.

I made a mental note to ask Lena if she had given my number to anyone.

I arrived home, and quickly went up to my room so I could call Kim in all the tranquility of my room.

“Hello!” I heard Kim’s voice say.

“Hey Kim.” I said flatly.

“What’s wrong?” She asked immediately. That made me cheer up slightly. Kim knew me from inside out, and just from those two words she could hear that something wasn’t going well.

“I got an anonymous text.”

“Ooh from an admirer?” She asked.

“Of course not! It says: I know who you are cupid, but do you know who I am?”

Kim gasped on the other side of the line.

“Do you think it’s the heartbreaker at your school?” She asked worriedly.

“Who else could it be?” I answered dryly.

“This is bad, Will. Really bad.”

“You don’t say.” I said sarcastically.

“Did you try tracing the call?” She asked.

“That’s why I called you.”

“Hmm… I should have known that you had a motive for calling me.” She said teasingly, trying to lighten the mood.

“Do you think your dad could help?”

“Maybe. I will have to show him the phone though. If I were you I would change your number and phone though. Like that when I go back home after my visit in Tampa, I can take your phone with.”