Chapter Five

Shouts rose from the large tent behind me as I scrambled into the night, my knee's grazing the stone floor and my eyes darting around me.

My feet clumsily scraped the ground as I rushed to pull myself up and scramble away. From the corner of my eye I saw one of the henchmen run around the side of the tent heading for me.

I jumped to my feet, adrenaline powering me forwards, and ran away from the tent and the men hunting me. I scurried in between small tents, through the narrow pathways surrounding them, sending people flying out of my way, a beast howling into the night from a cage and more men after me when called upon by the henchmen.

I ran as fast as I could, my muscles aching with the demands placed on them. My arms flailed at my side as I tried to gain more speed when the fingers of a man grazed the back of my shirt.

I broke free from the town centre and ran into the darkened alleyways, where the moon was blocked by a barricade of hanging washing and linens from tall windows and cloths hanging over shop fronts.

Trying my best to see where I was going, my hand reached out to graze the stone walls, and I turned whenever I felt an opening. The shouts behind me increase; Damien's voice the loudest of the group hunting me, "Get her! Five gold piece to whoever catches her first!"

The voices raised and the pounding of feet grew evermore intense. However I was smaller, slimmer, than the men, and some women, chasing me and soon the gap between us grew.

Their cries died out as I expertly navigated my way through the familiar streets. But what little light was available was soon dying out and I could no longer see where I was going.

A tug on my arm sent me screaming and flailing but a hand was clamped down on my mouth and I knew that I was done for. They had me and now I could only imagine what Damien would do to me, to get this...power I had.

"Be quiet," a voice whispered harshly into my ear as I was dragged from the alley and into a small pathway littered with crates and bins, "or they'll know where you are. I don't think you want that."

I was pushed behind a pile of crates, someone's large bodies squishing me against the wall. Their breath tickled my cheek as them pressed against me, hiding me under their dark body.

I peeked over their large arm to see the pack of men fly past. Some held flaming torches in their hands whilst other shouted out after me. Damien was at the back, walking slowly as his eyes penetrated the area around him. His gaze grazed over the top of the stack of crates and I ducked my head down under the person arm.

My heart beat increased and I feared Damien had seen the whites of my eyes, staring out at him. My fingers clutched the man's jacket; digging into his skin and heard him let out a hiss of pain. I loosened my fingers.

Before I heard his foot contact the ground, I felt Damien, move on, his eyes not finding what he desired.

When he was satisfied we were alone the man pulled away from me and I le tout a breath I had been holding in for too long.

"That was close." the man spoke and I realised from his voice he sounded more like a boy.

"Parker?" I spoke in a hushed whisper, "What are you doing here?"

"I waited for you when you went in the tent. I tried to go in after I heard you scream but they wouldn't let me pass." Parker explained, "I waited for you to finish but then I heard a commotion and ran around the tent and saw them chase you."

Parker's hair was unkempt and his eyes wild.

"Thank you." I replied.

Parker nodded and took my hand again, pulling me from the floor.