If I Can Love You, Why Can't You? - Chp 20 [Broken]

I'm falling apart/I'm barely breathing/With a broken heart/That's still beating/In the pain/There is healing/In your name/I find meaning/So I'm holding on/I'm barely holding on to you~Lifehouse - Broken

The next afternoon I learnt the true definition of hangover. Dad was slightly disappointed but didn’t say much of it. Maybe he knew that my throbbing head, vomiting and inability to open my eyes let alone see straight was punishment enough. Deep down I think he knew I wasn’t fully okay and something had happened if no overprotective Will dropping me off last night was evidence enough. I think he also knew I was after all a teenager.

Will had made no more contact and I wasn’t entirely sure if it was because he was overseas and didn’t have a working phone or if Gabe’s and Ty’s update was too frightening. Either way I didn’t give a damn, I wanted no Will crossing my mind for a while; I wanted to enjoy the end of the year and my schooling, not spending it crying. I hadn’t checked my emails, on purpose, to see if he’d tried making contact through that but we never used to keep in touch through email. He was just always…there. Until now. If he was to apologies it was to be sincere and to my face, I wasn’t going to forgive him with the click of my fingers anymore.

I was happy when three days later Brooke, Jackie and I loaded Brooke’s little VW for our planned road trip to Wollongong. It was November, the end of spring, the beginning of summer and I was going to enjoy it. Experience the great escape. With school over I was losing track of the days and desired to get out and explore, to leave my worries behind. And we did.

The drive down was done in turns, full of laughter, singing with the roof down, and smiles as we chewed on lollies and soft drink. The crazy photos on my camera were evidence enough. We stayed at a small hotel three blocks from the beach and spent the days at the beach, shopping, or just messing about as we explore. Every night we went out and I had no chance to stop and take a breath. I was purely in bliss from being distracted.

We only had one minor damper throughout the trip. It was one night we were sitting munching on snakes when my phone vibrated; I ignored it knowing who it was. I wasn’t stupid, the only reason why I hadn’t turned my phone off was incase Adam rang since he lived down here in Wollongong, or if dad called.

Jacks sighed sick of it “Damn it Tanze sort it out!” she cried sick of my mood changes even though I was trying my hardest to keep it hidden.

“I can’t.” I mumbled “He’s in France.” I muttered biting into the snake too vigorously.

Both girls raised their brows “France?” Brooke asked slowly.

I nodded looking down at the ugly floral print on the hotel’s couch. “Yup.” I popped the ‘p’ glumly. “Doing business of sorts.” I altered the truth.

“Is that why he wasn’t at the birthday bash?” Jacks asked her voice slightly shocked since I had said absolutely nothing until now about it.

“Yup.” Popping the ‘p’ again. “Although he did forget.” I muttered my heart whimpering some more as it cowered.

“Tanze it is business related, most likely it was impossible to get out of and if he forgot your birthday don’t beat him up, it isn’t that tragic.” Brooke said as Jacks nodded her head in agreement.

My eyes grew; they were both siding against me?! Even Brooke, the shy down to earth logical girl?! “Don’t beat him up?!” I shouted confused. “If that was someone else, your boyfriend the both of you two would dump his sorry ass but with Will it’s ‘don’t beat him up’?!” I cried wanting to do more than beat him. He’d lied, forgotten my birthday and now had my best friends siding with him. I was so angry, livid. How dare they! True they didn’t know the full story but even with only this much detail it was beyond a joke.