Chapter 1

"Ugh, Mabel . . ." a brown-haired boy huffed, leaning stressfully against the door of their shared room. Dipper wiped the sweaty palms of his hands on his dirty, gray shorts, listening to the girlish voices fade away into the background, muffled by the large piece of wood. He had just escaped one of his twin sister's make-up rampages - and good thing, too. The twelve year-old would like to keep what little was left of his dignity. Certain that he wouldn't be bothered, the tween strolled up to his bed, taking Journal Number Three from under it and sat down on the squeaky mattress.

Dipper pulled the old book open, flipping past a few stained and torn pages to rest his discomforts, finding ease in its mysterious familiarity that only he could truly harness. Besides the Author. I bet he knows so much. . . I'd do anything to meet him. The boy allowed himself to dwell on those thoughts, reading the words of a long-forgotten mastermind. One day I'll find him. . .One day. . .

Bill watched him as normal, unseen, through the triangle window in the attic, seeing the whole room perfectly. You'll find that author sooner than you think, kid. And along with that . . . comes the darkness. Are you ready? Bill thought, mostly to himself since he knew that Dipper couldn't hear him just yet. . . but he was certainly planning to talk to him.

The boy read through the encyclopedia of mystery, fascinated with its immense knowledge. He continued to read through, studiously staring down every picture, memorizing every word, pondering over every symbol and unknown code. There are still so many things that I haven't discovered . . . Dipper mused. So many creatures out there that I haven't met . . . He leaned back into his pillow, holding the book comfortably in his lap as he went through it.

I'm going to find out everything one day. I'll explore this town and the forest until I've learned every secret. And I'll identify the Author, too. Dipper smiled determinedly at that, turning yet another page. The next was one he'd studied before, a blood-splattered rendering of a particularly notable dream demon. The figure's name read largely on the page: 'Bill Cipher'; a long article followed, telling of the trickery and malice that the powerful creature could bring upon an unsuspecting mind.

Well, I definitely know not to trust him. He's so . . . creepy. And dangerous. The brown-haired boy scanned the room around him, already feeling like he was being watched. Not finding anything, even after glancing at the window, he looked back at the page, staring right at the drawing's single eye. He shuddered uncomfortably, memories from their last encounter fresh in his mind. Dipper frowned, trying to push the thoughts away. It was best not to focus on something in the past. He just wouldn't fall for his lies again. Yeah, that's what I'll do. The boy turned the page quickly. He couldn't bring himself to stare any longer.

Bill laughed as he watched. You are mighty interesting, Pine Tree . . . Bill saw Dipper turn to his page in Journal Three and stare at it. Bill of course, read Dipper's mind. Hmm . . . well, maybe I'll have to force you to trust me one day. Ahahaha! That sounds like fun. . . but you're right; dangerous is definitely the right word! Bill thought and then waved his small hand, making the boy quietly fall asleep and entered his mindscape.

Dipper was in the middle of reading a sentence when the color began to drain from the world, the faded yellows and browns in the journal bleeding away as if they were rain sliding down a window. He glanced upwards, alarmed, watching the rest of the room do so as well, everything in sight fading into a monochromatic still-life. Almost everything. Dipper himself still had his color, skin still a pale peach and the brim of his hat still blue. He knew what this meant. It had happened before.

Why now? Dipper scowled, shutting the now-gray book in his hands and tucking it safety away into his vest. If it wasn't in color then it must not be important. To the demon, at least. That didn't mean he wasn't going to play safe. "Bill, what do you want? I'm not going to make any deals with you," he said immediately to the air, watching for the floating triangle's grand entrance. "So if you're coming to trick me it's not going to work."