Chapter 23 - Prepare for Battle

Update 20 mins before midnight, aka Sunday so there you go, extra early beaause I've been writing a lot recently! Enjoy (I hope)

I walk down the hallway, my heels can be heard even when I'm walking softly. I won't lie, I'm a little nervous to see Kai. Or not to see him but to find out the truth. My mate is by my side all the time as I knock and we walk into the guest room.

Inside is Josh's dad and Kai laying on the bed, looking somewhat tired.

I bow at Josh's dad, giving him a small smile. He ignores the gesture and instead stands to hug me.

"We were all worried about you." He says, letting go of me after.

"Him in particular. You don't want to find out how he let out his anger." He adds, frowning at his son. Josh rolls his eyes but I imagine what was happening.

"Shouldn't have. Hows the patient?" I ask, changing the subject, now making eye contact with Kai. I walk up to him and sit on the edge of his bed.

"Hey, Barry." I smile at him. He tries hard not to react to that.

"All he needs now is time. He'll need crutches for only a week or two... The wound isn't bad at all. He can get out of bed once I change his bandages." He says.

I smile at him. "Thank you."

"No problem. I'll leave you all." He says, standing up. On his way out he pats Josh on the back. As soon as the door shutting can be heard and the silence filling the room, I feel Josh tense a little.

"Talk." He orders and the tone even makes me flinch.

Kai sighs and lets his head rest back to the pillow. "My father has a problem with you." He says, directing it at Josh. Josh raises an eyebrow and so do I.

"Bethany was supposed to be your mate, she was supposed to take over as pack Luna and kill you. Then she would unite the two packs: hers and our father's."

"Woah, wait. You're talking as if your father was also..." I begin, trying to find the right words because I was confused.

"Bethany's father? Yes, he is. Bethany is my sister." He finishes and I'm just speachless from the news we've just heard.

"Why mine? Why my pack?" Asks Josh, his face has a cold look to it.

"My father had an interest in you mother once. She picked Thomas over him when they turned out to be mates." Kai answers him, simply.

"And why does he want to take over the pack in general?" I ask.

"My father isn't a very... Likeable person. That was the reason Rebecca, Joshua's mum didn't choose him when she still had the chance. He made a lot of enemies over the years and needs a strong army to fight the battles he started upon himself but couldn't handle." Kai explains.

I look at Josh, blankly. "So to get this straight... Kai's father has some kind of a past with Josh's mother, Rebecca. She picked Thomas over him. Years passed and Kai's father, being the dick he is, made enemies he has battles to face with but his pack wasn't strong enough to fight it... The first pack that came into his mind that he could take over was Thomas' and Rebecca's for revenge. They've stepped down for Josh which means Josh's pack... Our pack... Bethany was sent to the pack and with a help of a witch made Josh believe she was his mate so that she could become Luna, take over and get rid of the Alpha..."

They both nod at me in confirmation I understood everything.

"How am I supposed to know this is true? Am I supposed to trust you? Because I'm not that stupid." Says Josh, folding his arms.

"I'm on your side. Despite her shooting me in the leg." I smirk at that even though I probably shouldn't. "I never really agreed with my father's idea, I though it was pointless. I had to do what he ordered because he's my Alpha. When I turned 18, I was supposed to take over as Alpha and leader. He refused to step down so I'm trying to win that title." Says Kai.

"But it's the generic wolf laws to take over at 18..." Says Josh.

"Exactly. He won't have it though, he wants power." Adds Kai.

There's a long pause for thinking.

"But Bethany was in my original pack. Until Josh sent people to kill her... I don't get it..." I mumble.

Kai sits up "Bethany was first sent to kill Joshua's brother. That was the begining of revenge along with Josh's kidnap when he was six. My father knew that you would be Josh's mate though, that's why he made sure Bethany belonged to your pack, so that she could distract you from ever meeting him and monitor if you would ever come across him so she got there first as soon as the spell started working. My father actually does know you, Lexie. He watched you grow up and tried to make your life harder because you were in the way of his plan." He says. I gasp without meaning to when he mentions the kidnap. Josh never mentioned he was kidnapped.

"So this... All of this... It all started from the begining... Because your dad wanted Josh's mum?" I ask, my mouth practically wide open. That's absurd... So desperate. I just can't believe it.

Kai nods. I let out a deep breath and hug Josh who instantly wraps me in his arms. Breathing in each other's scents calms us both down and makes us think clearer.

"I should have known it was Eric." Josh mumbles, cursing under his breath. From his behaviour, I have a feeling he knows him better than it appears.

Someone knocks and walks into the room. It's Emily. I smile at her but she looks kind of worried. She's holding the phone and holds it in front of Josh. That gets me anxious.

"Phone call, for you." She says. She gives me a small smile back on her way out the room.

"Joshua Richardson speaking?" Says Josh and me and Kai are both using our wolf hearing to know who is on the other line and what they're talking about.

"That's the person I was hoping to hear from." Says the voice. It belongs to a man. I could have sworn Kai's face gets a bit pale.

"Who is this?" Asks Josh.

"You'd think since I took your... Mate from you and you took my son and locked him up somewhere in return, you'd even recognise my voice, Joshua. You should know who you're doing trades with." He answers in that same, steady voice. That's when I know who it is.

"Eric." He says bitterly.

"Yeah, that's the one. Got there in the end, didn't we Joshua? You probably don't want to hear from me but I figured it would be nice of me to check up on you, boy. And to warn you..." He trails off.

"About what?" Snaps Josh.

"Well, I don't want to spoil anything, we all hate spoilers. All I can reveal is that you should prepare yourself for battle, my dear, dear boy. May the odds be ever in your favour." And he hangs up.

As promised, we're back to our routine Sunday updates.
Like said in my A/N from yesterday, a few of you have commented that you can't see some chapters. I made a repost of the chapters that were mentioned by YOU GUYS that you couldn't see.
Pleaseeee be understanding and don't blame me for it. This isn't my fault, it's wattpad's, they probably have a bug they have to fix with the next update or something similar like that because it's only a few people that can't see these chapters, most of you guys have no problems what so ever which I'm glad about. I have done the reuploads with hope I can help you guys and it's the only thing I can do! I can't do anything else for you so please be understanding.
If you can't see a chapter, tell me which one in the comments. I'll reupload it on the other story on my PROFILE an hopefully that will sort it out. If not then I'm really sorry but I can't help.

Enough about that, back to the story: sorry if it's confusing. There was a lot of information to take in that chapter but I hope you all understood everything.

Until next time
-A