Chapter 25 - Let the Game Begin

I run into the meeting room, finding Josh alone in there which surprises me. He reads my mind because he clears my confusion.

"I asked for everyone to leave and get ready... I said I needed time to think." He says.

I take a few slow steps towards him. He doesn't like to show it but I see some fear in him. It's somewhere in there. Not knowing what to do, I let my instincts tell me as I give him a short and gentle kiss on the cheek.

"I love you." He says. I nod at him.

"And I love Darcy. I can't help but think I may never see her again." He continues.

"Me neither. I'm scared." I tell him, honestly.

"What if one of us... What if..." He doesn't end up saying it but I know exactly what he wanted to.

"That's not an option." I whisper, leaning in to kiss him properly. I was planning it to be simple again but he brings his hands to my face, deepening the kiss in the process. I think we both know that at the end of today, we will either both be victims or both survivers. There is no in between.

"I love you..." He says, leaning his forehead against mine.

"And I love you." I answer, reaching my hands over his neck, hugging him again. I can't have enough of this.

"But we have to be more positive about this. Your pack is strong, Josh. We can definitely do this." I comment. He just nods at me.

"Joshua, Lexie? This may be a false alarm but our territory patrolers sense that a lot of members from a different pack are close by. It's just odd and I thought it's important that you knew." Says Will, popping in through the door.

"Thank you." Answers Josh, quickly grabbing my hand and running down the stairs and outside to where a lot of men have already gathered. This must be around half of our pack. I don't see as much women but that's understandable. They have children they have to raise.

My brother, Lewis, Terry, Emily and even Kai - which shouldn't be here at all because of his leg - are also here, waiting near us for instruction. Josh keeps still for a moment, listening out for anything and smelling the air. I can definitely smell someone near and they're not from our pack or any that I've come across.

"That's them. Be alert and ready to attack if needed. We will try to end this confrontation by a discussion. I am avoiding a battle at all costs." Calls out Josh so that everybody can hear. People nod back, showing that they understand.

I walk in front of everyone along with my mate, behind us are Tyler and the rest and a few meters behind are the rest of the pack. I tense as a few people emerge from behind the trees. After a few seconds, everyone from the opposed pack seems to have arrived because now I just see, what I suspect Eric at the front with (surprise, surprise) Bethany and a similar sized amout of people as ours. The difference is that they seem to have a lot of women there too which means their whole pack is going to be fighting. I let out a quiet gasp when I spot a few children standing between the legs of what seems their parents, some looking as young as around the age of Darcy. What is wrong with him? He's a sick bastard.

Josh noticing my reaction, holds his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. This makes Eric deepen his glare and Bethany roll her eyes at us which actually gives me satisfaction.

"Joshua." Speaks Eric with a somewhat sadistic, evil grin. That just terrifies me.

"Eric." Snaps Josh.

"And who do we have here? It can't be Lexie Spencer, can it?!" He asks, with fake enthusiasm.

I bite my lip to stop myself from saying something I shouldn't. Josh just tenses more, I know he's getting angry.

"Let's avoid the drama, Eric. Tell me what it is that you still want from me." Says Josh. His tone is still very calm.

"There's nothing left for me to want. Just revenge." He says. "Haven't you grown since the last time I saw you, Lexie? You were a teenager before and look at you now, all grown up..." He carries on.

"Yes... They all grow up so fast, don't they? Maybe you would have noticed if you paid more attention to your own children instead of spying on me." I answer, delicately, not pushing the boundaries but it's hard.

"Oh, darling. Don't make me sound like some old creep, I'm a family friend. I visited a few times too." He says.

"I have never met you before in my life." I retort, closing the topic. Josh grips tighter to me and I'm not sure if it's out of anger or support.

"That's what you think."

"Enough." Says Josh, sternly. "Eric, my proposition is simple. We shake hands and you walk away without taking any action. There will be no grudge held for your pack either."

Eric just laughs. "That's not what I came here for."

"Then what did you come here for?" I ask. His attention is now on me.

"Rebecca."

Sunday update! Sorry it's kind of short, hope you liked it.
*unedited
-A