Chapter Nine

Hogwarts was in chaos. Not the kind of chaos you're probably thinking of with battles taking place, buildings being destroyed, and beloved characters dying. No - this chaos was the pre-dance Chaos. It was the day before Christmas Eve, and all those dateless were scurrying the castle recklessly trying to find someone who wasn't going with anyone.

Elizabeth and Padma were sitting on the recliners by the Ravenclaw fireplace, observing people frantically running around trying to find a date.

"Has Anthony asked you yet?" Elizabeth asked, spotting the blonde boy sitting calmly at one of the tables.

"No," Padma sighed. "I've denied every boy who has asked me in hopes that he would, but he hasn't. I told you he didn't like me."

Elizabeth frowned, she was friends with Anthony and lately every time they had talked, Anthony was gushing over (if boys could gush) Padma. Elizabeth had told him multiple times that Padma feels the same back, but he doubts it. Just as she doubts that he likes her, too.

"I'll go talk to him," Elizabeth stated, swinging her legs out of the recliner so it didn't kick the footrest back in. She got up and was making her way over to him, but she was beaten by some red haired third year.

She vaguely heard the girl ask him a question about the Yule Ball and him nod and smile, him mentioning something about, "I'd love to. I'll see you there."

Elizabeth played the line over and mentally cursed. The girl had asked him to escort her to the ball, and he said yes.

The red haired girl squealed and ran off to tell her friends, leaving Elizabeth in his line of sight. "Hey Elizabeth!" He greeted.

"Anthony, what the hell?" Elizabeth said before she could filter her words.

Anthony blinked, taken back by her outburst. "What?"

"You like Padma, she likes you. Why didn't you ask her?" Elizabeth interrogated, beyond frustrated with this whole ordeal.

"She doesn't," Anthony said. "And besides, you know how shy I get."

Elizabeth sighed, "She does. You two are so frustrating, why can't you guys get together already? Have you seen the way she looks at you? It has the same longing in it that you have when you look at her."

"If she has longing in her eyes when she sees me, then you have longing in your eyes when you see Potter," Anthony dismissed.

"Are you saying that I like Harry?" Elizabeth asked.

"Not directly, no. But you did agree to go to the ball with... Fred? George? One of the Weasleys anyway, and his reason for asking you was to see Harry's reaction and you agreed to go with him. That says something."

"How did you know that?" Elizabeth wondered out loud. She figured that there was no point in denying it, Anthony tends to know exactly when people are lying. Anthony's response to the question was tapping his head, like it was the only answer needed in the entire world. "And you do realize by saying that you are saying that if I like Harry, then Padma most definitely likes you, right?"

He shrugged. "Possibly. I guess we'll see, won't we?"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes and walked back to Padma. She grabbed her friend's arm and pulled her up, "C'mon, we're finding you a date."

ϟϟϟ

"I feel ridiculous," Padma fidgeted with her hair as Elizabeth guided her towards the Great Hall. "Everyone has a date by now, except for me."

"Merlin, Padma, have some faith in your love life," Elizabeth said. She pushed one of the doors open with her unoccupied hand and dragged Padma in with the other. "Look! There's Ron and Harry talking to your sister!"

Parvati, hearing the two enter, waved them frantically over. Ron noticed her waving and turned to Padma.

"Will you go to the ball with me?" Ron asked Padma.

Padma grinned, "That'd be nice. Thank you, Ron."

Elizabeth looked back and forth between the two, there were no sparks or signs of affection for each other. She guessed that's what she should expect from last minute dates.

There was a few minutes of awkward silence, broken only when Harry cleared his throat and signalled Ron to leave. The two Gryffindor's left without another word.

"That was odd," Padma commented. "That's the first time I've witnessed Harry not try to talk to you, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth looked over her shoulder to witness the pair leaving the hall while whispering to each other. It was odd, but not entirely unwelcome.

"I heard Hermione lecturing him a week or so ago about giving you space," Parvati explained. "But, on to more important news... We have all got dates!"

"Remember that we're meeting in the first floor's lavatory," Padma said. "Right after dinner. That should give us enough time to get ready."

"If by getting ready you mean to turn into princesses, I think you're right," Elizabeth grinned.

The three girls all exchanged excited smiles. They couldn't wait to play dress up.