Chapter 15: Broken Friendships

Vana's Pov

Few days later..

Initiation is officially over and today we see the rankings in the dining hall. On our way there, I lightly shove Pheonix with my shoulder.

"So how good do you think you did?" I ask. Hunter and Sara were walking in front of us showing PDA to everyone in the hall. Peyton said he had to use the restroom and was going to catch up with us.

"I don't know, definitely not as good as you." He says scratching the phoenix tattoo on his neck.

"Oh please you're just being modest." I foll my eyes at him. At this point, we have reached the dining hall and were just walking in.

"No I'm serious, did you like cheat?" He said the word as if I really did cheat. Like he knew all along. I turn quickly towards him.

"And how could I have done that?" I say trying to sound calm. I narrow my eyes and try to give him a face that says 'I dare you to say something arrogant'. He lets out a sarcastic chuckle.

"You and Eric have been quite close."He says with a sinister smirk on his face.

Just walk away. Walk away Vana

I turn around before I do something I might regret and walk away.

"Aye come on Vana."I hear him call after me.

He's just an arrogant dick anyway. But then I feel a hand grab my forearm and spin me around. Pheonix pulls close me to him, a little too close for my comfort.

And too close for Eric's comfort also, I think as I see Eric shift uncomfortably in the corner of my eye. Apparently Pheonix saw it too because he turns his head toward him a second to give him a wink. He then leans in closer to whisper in my ear.

"Here's some advice, don't be such a slut."

Now I know there's a saying 'Violence is never the answer' but right now I don't think it's very relevant. I pull back my fist and let it soar towards his face the second after he said that sentence. He stumbles back slightly,before falling down onto the floor holding his swelling eye.

We may not have caught attention at first, but after the punch I threw at him we were the center of attention. People had stopped their conversations and had fully turned around to us. I glance over at the leader's table to see that they are all shocked.

It is pretty shocking, Pheonix and I were best friends since we were young. He used to defend me when people would make fun of my purple eyes. And I used to give him my chocolate cake.

We were 5, it seemed like a fair trade.

Now here I am, punching the crap out of him.

"Hey what did I miss?" Peyton says, toilet paper dragging on the back of his heel.

I sit at the table with a shocked Hunter and Sara. Peyton sat down on the seat next to me grinning.

"I don't know exactly why you just punched Pheonix in the face, but it was a hella good punch." He says laughing a little.

"Why exactly did you punch him by the way?" Hunter asks. I open my mouth to explain, but I'm cut off by Everret's voice on the microphone.

"Ahem is this thing on?" He says to the microphone. "Ok perfect so-" Then the microphone cuts off and mutes Everret. He turns around and hops off the table, running somewhere to probably fix the microphone.

Pheonix finally takes a seat next to Sara, as far away from me as possible. Everret runs back in and hops on our table. I look up at him as he starts to speak into the microphone.

"Ok I fixed the system, but I forgot my speech on the way here so I'll keep it short and sweet. Congrats to all the people who made it through our initiation. We believe in bravery and taking action and some other stuff I forgot on the run here." He takes a second and tries to remember what he's supposed to say. "I'm gonna sit here for a second, do you mind?"

I shrug to say 'I don't care' and he sits down on the seat next to me and continues.

"I swear guys, before my speech killed it." The crowd laughs at Everret's joke. "But seriously, how about congratulations to our new members." The crowd then stomps their feet in joy, and I join them. "Tomorrow, in their first act as members, our top ten initiates will choose their professions, in the order of how they are ranked. But enough of that, what we really want is the rankings. If you would please turn your heads towards the screen to see the rankings."

Just as he finishes talking, my face shows up on the screen. Under my picture appears the number 1.

I smile so hard you wouldn't believe me if I said that I had just been pissed at someone just few minutes before. Peyton looks at me and gives me his classic Peyton smile raising his fist for a fist bump.The crowd erupts in applause shouts of 'That's my girl Vana'. Then a picture of a dark haired guy squinting at the sun shows up with the number 2.

Jonas.

Then another picture of a shy blonde girl shows up.

3.Kaitlyn.

Then a picture of a guy with a flower crown on, sticking his tongue out.

4.Pheonix.

5.Chris

6.Hunter

7.Peyton

8.Sara

9.Chris

10.Bryan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11.Maria

12.Dave

13.Nancy

14.Brittany

Everyone under the red line was getting cut from dauntless unfortunately. But for right now, I was too happy to care.

~*~

I wake up to someone shaking me.

"Wake up honey, you're going to be late." I hear Pop's voice say.

"Hmmm, 5 more minutes." I say groggily.

"If you don't wake up, you might not be able to pick your job. Then before you know it, BAM your factionless." I jump out of bed and run to the bathroom at that.

I glance at my watch to see its 1:13 pm and I had to be there my 1:15. Thank goodness I took a shower before I fell asleep. Yesterday after rankings, all the new members decided to ride the train to factionless headquarters and spray paint. We stayed out pretty late which explains the bags under my eyes.

My hair was a mess but I didn't have enough time to fix it so I threw a hat on my head and some sunglasses. I put on my lucky Jack Daniel's shirt and some ripped jeans. I run out the door barefoot when I saw it was 1:14. I turn many corners shoving through people till I reach the final corner.

"Is Nirvana Zenalds present?" I hear Eric say on the other side of the hall.

"I'm here, I'm here!" I shout finally reaching him.

"Yes, so as you can see on the board behind me there is the list of jobs you can choose from."

Dauntless Leader

Ambassdor

Tattoo artist

Camera Monitor

Initiate Trainer

Clothing Designer

Gate Guard

"Dauntless Leader." I say and he hands me my apartment key. I turn the key over and see that there's a note that on the back of the key.

'I'll stop by later to help you unpack.

Eric'

"Nice foot wear by the way."