Chapter Five - In which pumpkins are poisonous

"Look deeply into the stars, you'll find answers to all your problems," Trelawney drawls and I hear Ron snigger from my left. He mutters something to Harry and they both exchange a grin. I flick through the textbook, bored of the lesson as usual.

"Miss Argent, tell me what do you see in the stars?"

My eyes snap up and I stutter unable to form a complete sentence. Trelawney looks at me expectantly, her eyes wide in anticipation.

"Erm, I'm going to get a nice surprise soon...?" I say trailing off at the end. She doesn't look impressed and I glance around trying to get myself out of this situation. Ron motions as if he's hanging himself and I sigh rolling my eyes. Futures aren't supposed to be happy in this class. "And there's heart break in the future too," I mutter and Trelawney gives me a grave smile, patting my shoulder.

"Yes, yes dear. You should stay clear of pumpkins on Friday," she says with an air of mystery and I snort. Pumpkins? Since when do I go near them anyway? Ron snorts as Harry mutter something inaudible. Honestly this class was such a joke, but since I was already so behind on Potions, I couldn't afford to miss any other lessons.

"And if you're so intent on disrupting my class, you can do an extra assignment on charting the phases of Venus and what they mean," Trelawney snaps at Ron and I laugh as his face turns into horror. "You too, Miss Argent!"

"What? But Profe-" I start but she shoots me a look. Grumbling to myself, I head out of the class and towards the Great Hall. It's just my luck to get extra homework when I actually try in a lesson. I sit at the end of the table with a sigh and grab a sandwich. Scanning the table at the front of the hall, my heart sinks at the empty seat of my guardian. After leaving things so terribly with him, my nightmares have only become more intense. So far the potion has made sure I'm safe whilst I sleep, but it won't be long until I'll have to find him for something stronger.

"Right bat isn't she?" I hear Ron grumble as he sits opposite me. Hermione sits next to me as Harry takes the seat next to Ron. 

"Well you should have dropped the subject earlier like I did," Hermione says with a grin and I stare at them all, unable to say a word. Since when do these three sit next to me? Racking my brain, I try to recall a moment where I encouraged the interaction. From the start of first year, Severus warned me to steer clear of Potter, his father apparently had a reputation for getting up to mischief. Managing to avoid all the drama that seems to follow these three required a lot of skill and something I was quite proud of. 

"Hey do you want to split the work so we can get it done in one night?" Ron asks looking at me hopefully. All three pairs of eyes stare at me expectantly.

"Sure?" I say after a pause and Ron grins at me. I suppose avoiding them can wait till after I've finished this monster of an assignment. 

"You going to come to Keeper tryouts on Friday?" Ron asks, glancing up at Hermione.

"I've got Umbridge," Harry says defeatedly, subconsciously pulling his sleeve over his hand.

"We'll be there," Hermione says confidently and I raise my eyebrows.

"We?" I ask and she gives me a knowing smile.

"Don't you want to see the team in action?" She says and suddenly I feel extremely self conscious, as if I'm being watched or something. My eyes meet familiar brown ones and I scowl. This is his doing. He smirks at me as if he knows what I'm thinking. But then he turns back to Fred and Lee, completely ignoring me. I watch as some students walk up to him and he jokes with them. He passes them a box and a couple of silver coins and they scamper off. One of the girls turn back and I see George wink at her. Narrowing my eyes I turn my attention back to my sandwich.