Chapter Thirty-Six

They sat on either side of the taxi, not speaking, not touching. He'd let go of her hand when he helped her into the car and hadn't made a move to take it back. The journey lasted less than five minutes, but the whole time Libby stared out of the window, not daring to look at him. What could she say if she did? Why? It was the only word rattling around in her head. Why, why, why? Why be so nice and then so cold?

By the time, the taxi pulled into the Square, she wished they could drive for another five minutes, for another hour. What was Patrick expecting? A shag? Oh god, why did she say the fucking in the hallway wisecrack. As if she would. The taxi, with its vanilla air freshener, stifled her and her head swam from the wine she'd drunk. The second the car stopped, she threw open the door, sucking in a massive lungful of air.

Go home.

'Come on,' Patrick said, nodding towards his house. 'I've got a surprise to show you.'

'I'm not sure-' She glanced at Maggie's cottage, needing the security of familiar surroundings.

'It's fine.' He took her hand. 'It's a nice surprise.'

'Why?'

He glanced around the empty square. 'Why is it a nice surprise?'

'No, why did you get me to see Jane? You were waiting for me, weren't you?'

'Can we go inside?' His fingers linked with hers again, his thumb brushing the back of her hand.

'But you were, weren't you? Were you at the coffee shop?'

He nodded.

'Why?' She stared into those perfectly non-brown eyes. Did he really care? If he kissed her now, showed her that he cared, she could forget about London. She could settle here, she really could.

Kiss me.

He didn't. Instead, he tugged the shawl. The cold, winter air, ripped at her skin, but she didn't shiver. Instead, she held her breath as Patrick looked her over. He didn't share Robbie's blatant desire to bend her over the sofa. No, Patrick looked her over with awe, as if he'd never seen a girl in a dress before.

Finally, a huge smile took over his face. 'I was there because you always smell of roses and sweet peas.'

She laughed. 'I smell of what?'

'Come on, princess, I have something to show you.' Still clutching her hand, he led her unprotesting to his front door.

Her heart hammered in her chest, surely loud enough for him to hear, as he unlocked the door. This was it. What would he do, talk first or fuck her up against the wall? Neither suggestion would get a complaint from her. Okay, he hadn't said he cared, but he did, didn't he? Actually, maybe they'd be better talking afterwards, she wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything other than shagging him. No, she should play hard to get, earn some respect.

'What's the surprise?' she asked.

'A cute little redhead I've had my eye on.'

Excuse me? Well, that ruled out the hallway idea, but trusting him to be joking, she followed him down the corridor to a closed door. A strange whimpering came from the other side.

'You keep a cute little redhead locked in the kitchen? Should I run away, screaming for my life?'

He smile grew as he opened the door and a bundle of brown and white fur scurried around his feet, its tail a wagging blur.

'Ohmigod, you've got a puppy.'

'This is Isla.' He kissed the Springer Spaniel's head before sending her off to say hello to Libby. 'And she's a very clever girl who hasn't weed everywhere. Well done, Isles.'