Come Josephine in my flying machine...

It was a bright clear day. Sunlight splashed across the promenade, where Avery and Caledon were having breakfast in silence. The tension was palpable. Trudy, in her usual maid's uniform, poured them coffee, then went inside.

"I had hoped you would come to me last night," said Caledon in a casual tone.

Avery glanced up at him before returning her eyes to her cup. "I was tired."

"Yes. Your exertions below decks were no doubt exhausting."

Avery stiffened. "I see you had that undertaker of a manservant follow me."

Caledon threw her a glare. "You will never behave like that again! Do you understand?"

Avery stared up at him with a look of disbelief. "I'm not some foreman in your mills than you can command." Taking a deep breath, she glanced down at her hands before looking back up at him. "I am your fiancée—"

Caledon exploded, sweeping the breakfast china off the table with a crash. He moved to her in one shocking moment, glowering over her and gripping the sides of her chair, so she was trapped between his arms.

"Yes! You are! And my wife... in practice, if not yet by law. So you will honor me, as a wife is required to honor her husband! I will not be made out a fool! Is this in any way unclear?"

Avery shrunk into the chair and, trembling, she shook her head. "No," she managed to choke out before glancing behind Caledon. She saw Trudy, frozen, partway through the door bringing the orange juice. Caledon followed her glance and straightened up. He stalked past the maid, entering the stateroom.

"We... had a little accident. I'm sorry, Trudy," the young girl apologized.

She'd been mistreated in her past, but never to this extent... at least as far as she remembers. This was why she wanted to jump that night before she'd met Jack. After meeting the latter, she hadn't minded being when she was, but who she was with was a whole different story.

Avery was dressed for the day, and was in the middle of helping Ruth with her corset. The tight bindings did not inhibit Ruth's fury at all.

"You are not to see that boy again, do you understand me Rose?" Avery rolled her eyes, though Ruth didn't see her. "I forbid it!"

Avery had her knee at the base of her mother's back and was pulling the corset strings with both hands.

"Oh, stop it, Mother. You'll give yourself a nosebleed." Not that I would mind, thought Avery.

Ruth pulled away from her, and crossed to the door, locking it. CLACK!

"Rose, this is not a game!" Ruth hissed, wheeling on her. "Our situation is precarious. You know the money's gone!"

Avery fought back the urge to say Then get a job, and said instead, "Of course I know it's gone. You remind me every day!"

"Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name. And that name is the only card we have to play."

Clenching her jaw, Avery turned her around and grabbed the corset strings again. Ruth sucked in her waist and Avery pulled.

"I don't understand you. It is a fine match with Hockley—"

Except that he's twice my age, Avery thought.

"— and it will insure our survival."

Avery gave her a look filled with hurt. "How can you put this on my shoulders?"

Ruth turned to her and Avery could see the naked fear in her eyes, but that changed nothing of how she felt. She was not going to feel pity towards this materialistic woman.