Prologue

PROLOGUE

"I'M sorry, but it has already spread into his lungs."

I was just sitting here in the hallway for almost an hour now, trying to absorb everything that just happened. Kahit pilitin ko ang sarili ko na intindihin at tanggapin ang mga nangyayari, hindi ko magawa.

Bakit kami humantong sa ganito? Maayos naman kami nitong mga nakaraang buwan. Bakit naman biglang nagkaganito?

I just watched hundreds of people pass by in front of me, my eyes dilated in pain and fear.

I was surrounded by white walls, white doors, white flooring and ceiling, and white hospital gowns. Halos puti lahat ng nakapaligid sa 'kin . . . but I felt like everything's dull and dark.

Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala sa sinabi ng doktor kanina. It gave me no courage to walk or even stand at all.

Covering my mouth with my hands, I sobbed like a kid.

Of all people, why did it have to be him?

"I'm very sorry, but you have to focus on the quality of the remaining days you have."

Who were they to say he's going to die soon?

I placed my hand over my chest, trying to calm myself. But I failed. It felt like my heart was going to explode soon because of the heaviness and extreme pain I am feeling right now.

Pakiramdam ko, ang damot-damot ng mundo.

Bakit kailangan pa niyang pahirapan 'yong taong mahal ko?

How could a cancer come back that fast?

How could a cancer destroy a person's life?

How could a cancer hurt so many people?

How could a cancer be so—selfish?