One

Hello and welcome to the first chapter of "Shall We Dance - A Steggy Fanfiction". Please feel free to comment and vote. I'd love to hear from you.

The picture above is of Dirk Bogarde, who I see as Sergeant Scott Woods.

I hope you like this one! Enjoy!

***
Peggy's PoV

"There's not gonna be a safe landing, but I can try and force it down," his voice rang through the radio, stabbing Peggy in the heart.

"I'll- I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do," she said fumbling, trying desperately to figure out the German controls.

"There's not enough time. This thing is movin' too fast and it's headin' for New York. I gotta put her in the water."

She stopped trying to work the controls. "Please, don't do this. W-we have time. We can work it out," she said, pleading with him, pleading with God, pleading with herself.

"Right now I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer a lot of people are gonna die," he paused and it felt like an age before he spoke again. "Peggy, this is my choice."

She bit back tears. She didn't know what to say. Those words were similar to the ones she had said to him after Sergeant Barnes had died and now, now he had said them to her.

He had said those words to her for one reason.

He knew he was going to die.

They both knew it, but she would be the one to deal with it, on her own, without her Captain.

"Peggy..." He said, his voice full of sadness.

She loved it when he said her name, there was something just so Steve about it that made her want to listen to it all day.

She took a deep breath and answered, "I'm here."

"I'm going to need a rain check on that dance."

It was at that moment that it hit her, she was going to lose him. They would have no first dance, no first date. No more firsts. Just that one kiss, their first and last kiss.

"All right. A week next Saturday at The Stork Club," she suggested, setting the date in her head and knowing that she would go, even if he couldn't.

"You've got it."

"Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late. Understood?"

"You know, I still don't know how to dance."

"I'll show you how. Just be there."

"Please. Please be there," she thought to herself.

Her eyes started to fill with tears, blurring her vision slightly.

"We'll have the band play something slow," he said, and she could tell he was trying so hard not to think about what would happen. He wanted to focus on their future in his last moments. "I'd hate to step on your-" The line went dead.