The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 2]

"God, Mae, could your skirt be any shorter?" I asked, as Mae reached and pulled her skirt down a little for the eleventh time.

"Oh shut up," she said, rolling her eyes.

"Telling it like it is, hun," I replied. She slapped my arm and I yelped.

"We're going to a CLUB, Ness. At least you can make some effort to look sexy," Mae told me.

"I don't need to make an effort," I said, winking. She looked at me. "Wow, yeah, you're right. That didn't sound like me at all. Stop hanging out with me! You're a bad influence!" I said. She laughed.

"Bad influence? I'm trying to get you out of your little bubble," she said.

"I'm perfectly fine in my bubble. It's actually really comfy in here," I said, putting up my arms and pretending that I was touching imaginary walls. She pinched my nose.

"Stop fooling around. Let's go," she said. We walked out of our apartment and got a cab, which wasn't too difficult with the way Mae was dressed.

"What bands are playing tonight?" I asked her. She shrugged.

"Just some local talent, I think. No one famous," she answered. I slumped in my seat. "You know, Ness, you really could be a knock-out. You just don't try," Mae said, running the cloth of my neon green V-neck tee between her fingers.

"I figure that when I find the right guy, he'll like me for me. Not because I dress like a slut," I said, poking her mini-skirt.

"Well thanks," she said.

"You don't need to try either, Mae. You're already really pretty," I told her.

"Aww shucks," she giggled, giving me a flashy pearly white smile. I rolled my eyes at her. "I know I don't have to try. I really don't care if I have a boyfriend or not. I like to dress up for myself," she said.

"Well, you don't have to wear a skirt that's meant to fit a high schooler," I pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess the skirt was a bad idea. Funnily enough, I have had it since high school," she replied. I shook my head at her. "I'll throw it out after tonight. I promise. But then you have to go shopping with me for a new one that fits better," she said. Ah. Clever Mae. Always trying to trick me into going shopping with her.

"I'm not going shopping with you. It's way too tiring," I said. She pouted and I pinched her nose. "Not going to work, love," I said.

"Psh. Whatever. We're here!" she cried. She hopped out of the cab and we split the fare. "Get ready to dance! Woooooohoooo!!" she yelped. She bounded up the stairs of the club. The bouncer stopped us to look at our IDs. Mae was 21, but I was still 20. Even though I was a junior, I had a late birthday, which made me younger than most everyone else in my graduating class.

"You can go," the bouncer said to Mae, eyeing her up and down hungrily. I pulled out my fake and he bought it, letting me in, too. The only reason I had a fake was to get into the bars where some of my favorite bands played at. I wasn't really much of a drinker, so I didn't really need it for that purpose. The night was already under way at the Sunset Grill. I thought it was funny that they called it a grill, when clearly, it was a club.

"Do you want something to drink?" she asked me. I shook my head.

"Not right now," I said.

"All right. I'll be right back," she said. I stood on my tiptoes, scanning the crowd. I saw a lot of kids from our school there. The stage was being set up still. The band had yet to perform. I felt someone tap my shoulder and I turned around.

"Daaaamn. You're sexy. Wanna dance?" a guy that looked like he was 30 slurred. I made a disgusted face at him.

"Why don't you go find someone your own age to dance with," I suggested, walking away. Mae met up with me, a drink in her hand.

"The band will be on in 15 minutes. Oh look! There's Adison!" she cried, pointing to a tall, muscular male that looked like a Cali-surfer.

"Wow, he's definitely your type," I said. Mae rolled her eyes at me. She was always hooking up with some surfer-type guy and then calling it off after a few weeks. Adison walked up to us, smiling cheekily at Mae.

"This is my best friend and roommate, Vanessa," she said, introducing me to him. He gave me a model smile and held out his hand.

"Hey, I'm Adison," he said. I smiled back.

"Nice to meet you," I said. With that, I moved away from the two, not wanting to intrude. I made my way to the front part of the stage. The MC came up on stage and announced the band that was playing. They were called The Velocity. The band came on stage and people cheered like crazy. I guess they were popular here.

They looked like a typical pop-punk band. The lead singer resembled Alex from All Time Low and was really cute. The bassist looked intense with his black hair and olive colored skin. The drummer had long hair and a slight beard and the other guitarist had the typical emo-hairstyle, although he didn't look emo at all. I positioned myself in the second row of people in front of the stage, so that I wasn't too close, but I was close enough.

"What's up SUNSET?!!!" the lead yelled. The crowd respond wildly. "Thanks for coming out tonight. It's going to be real," he said. He talked a little more and then they began. "1, 2, 3, 4!" he said and they started playing. I bobbed my head up and down to the beat. The music sounded good enough.

"There you go, looks like the whole world revolves around you. Well Earth to you, that charade's so see-through..." he sang. The lyrics could have been better. Basically the song was about a girl who acted like she was all that, but the guy could see right through her facade. It was a typical song, nothing too original. But the song was up-beat and the crowd loved it. They moved onto an acoustic cover song of Train's "Drops of Jupiter". That sounded really good. They played four more songs and then another cover and then the show was over. The MC called out to people that were willing to perform. Random drunk people volunteered and sounded horrible. I got bored and moved out of the crowd. Mae came up to, another drink in her hand. Her hair was a mess and her lipstick was a little smeared. Clearly she had been making out with Adison this whole time.

"That band was really good!" she yelled a little too loudly. I groaned internally. She was drunk.

"Yeah, they were," I said.

"Heyyyy I know what you should do!!! You should go up there and sing a song!" she suggested, taking a step towards me and almost tumbling over. I held her arm.

"No, I'd rather not," I told her.

"B-but, you're soooo good!" she squeaked. I shook my head.

"Mae, I think we should go back home," I said. She pulled her arm away from me.

"N-n-no! I'm having fuuuuun!" she said. Then she promptly tumbled to the ground. I let out a loud sigh and bent down to pick her up. I looked around for Adison, but he was nowhere to be found. I managed to slump her over my shoulder and started to make my way outside. She was totally passed out. I got outside and went to the sidewalk, looking out for a taxi. I lost grip of her and she fell.

"UGH MAE!" I yelled in frustration. I bent down to pick her up and heard a few wolf-whistles from guys. I rolled my eyes. Pigs.

"Here, let me help you," I heard a voice say. I looked up to see the good-looking lead singer of The Velocity.

"Thanks. She's totally passed out," I muttered.

"It's no problem," he said, pulling her up. He flagged down a taxi for me and helped me put Mae in the car.

"Thanks again," I said.

"No big deal. Have a good night," he said. He looked a little weary. Probably tired from the show. I wondered where the rest of his band was.

"You, too," I said, getting into the taxi.

"Doubt it," I heard him mutter, before I shut the door. That was odd.

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Whoop whoop! Part 2!!!! How are you guys liking it so far?