I Know Running Is Good For You, But This Is Too Much

Chapter 2

We continue to run for who knows how long, and although neither Killua, Gon, or I am breaking a sweat, many people have dropped out, and Gon's friend, who I learn is named Leorio, is practically dying. He actually stopped in his tracks.

"Hey just forget him." Killua says. I agree he looks like he couldn't pass if his life depends on him. Just another worthless piece of trash that somehow made it into the exam. But, I don't tell anyone my true feelings, I would never gain people's trust that way.

"Let's get going." I say instead. That's when all of a sudden Leorio strips of his jacket and starts running extremely fast.

"Damn it all!!!" He shouts, making me want to kill him right there and then for being annoying. Gon grabs his briefcase with his fishing pole and we begin to run again.

Another five minutes and the pace begins to pick up and we start climbing stairs.

"Hey want to have a race to see who buys dinner?" Killua asks.

"Sure." Both Gon and I reply and we shoot forward. We soon quickly pass Leorio and Gon's other friend Kurapika.

Leorio says that he is a teenager just like the rest of us and we all freeze in shock.

"I am impressed that you guys can keep up with me." Killua says.

"Really?" Gon asks. I remain silent, I could probably take them both out in a minute without breaking a sweat. Killua most likely thinks that he is one of the best here, although he is, not including me, and I can tell, he doesn't have to say such stuck up things.

"Ugh, the Hunter exam is going to be a breeze." Killua says.

"Hey Killua and Skyler, why did you guys want to be hunters?" I decide to answer first.

"I don't really have a reason, just I was walking around one day and I overheard some people talking about it, so I was just like hey how 'bout I give it a try?" I look at Killua, "I don't really want to be a hunter, I just heard the exam was supposed to be hard, so I thought it would be fun, but this is disappointing." Gon looks at us both, shocked.

"Wait? Are you guys brother and sister?" Gon asks. Killua and I look at each other and burst out laughing.

"Noo. Haha, we just met each other a few minutes before you." I tell him in between giggles.

"Yeah, we don't even look alike." Killua adds. "Oh, Well it's just that you both were riding a skateboard." Gon says.

"Well, I have light blue hair with purple eyes and Killua has silver hair with blue eyes. But, anyway why did you want to be a hunter?" I ask. I really am curious why such a young boy who knows nothing of the real world wants to be a hunter.

"My dad's a hunter, and I want to be a hunter just like him." Gon replies, his voice full of pride.

"What kind of hunter?" Killua asks.

"I don't know." Gon says smiling. Killua laughs and I smirk. What an idiot.

"That's kind of weird." Killua says.

"Really?" Gon asks.

"Well, you want to be like him but you don't even know him." I tell him. Gon proceeds to tell us about Mito-san, and about how his dad took the exam when he was twelve, but I couldn't care less. I really don't have a tolerance for people's ambitions.

Just then we see the exit and rapidly pick up our pace, finished not a second after the phase one examiner. "YAY!" we all scream.

"I won." yells Gon.

"What are you talking about? I finished first." Killua and I say pointedly at Gon. We argue for about a minute, until the examiner says we tied and we all agree to buy each other dinner.

I finally get a look at our surroundings and notice that the landscape is filled with fog. Quite a few other people also finish. The fog begins to clear and I notice a dense forest all around us.

"Known as Swindlers Swamp, we must cross this place to reach the area of the second phase." The purple examiner explains. "But, be careful the swamp is filled with things that try to trick you." Leorio shouts out,

"Ha, I can't get tricked if I know I am going to be tricked." I swear he is going to die if it Gon didn't care so much about others.

Just then a guy comes out dragging a monkey that looks like the examiner, saying that the current examiner is a fake and that he is the real examiner. I look around, these people are idiots if they think that this guy who just came out of nowhere is telling the truth. I notice that Hisoka takes out cards, and applying just a slight amount nen to them, throws them, at both the examiner and the fake. The examiner catches the cards while the fake receives them in the chest and dies.

"I see... I see... You are the real one," Hisoka says smirking and shuffling cards between his fingers. Everyone else seems to be shocked and frozen. I allow a small smirk to pass by my lips.

"Examiners are hand picked hunters, and any hunter would have been able to block that attack." Hisoka says.

"I will take that as a compliment," the purple examiner says, "but if you try to attack an examiner again you will be disqualified. Are we clear?"

"Sure." Hisoka says.

The examiner says stuff about being careful and other stuff but I mainly tune him out

"Now do not lose sight of me or you will die, now follow me." He finally conclude. We begin running through the marsh. There are 368 applicants left, more than I expected.

"We should move up." Killua says. "Okay, we don't want to lose sight of the examiner." Gon replies.

"I am more concerned about increasing the distance between us and Hisoka." I personally would like to watch and observe Hisoka more, he seems like a fascinating guy, but it would be a good thing to have a Zoldyck as an acquaintance, plus Killua is starting to grow on me.

So, we start to move up and leave behind Kurapika and Leorio who are, frankly, just slow.

"I can hear people screaming all around us." Gon says worriedly. Ah, the sound of others screaming is like joy to my ears. And how is that kid always so concerned about everyone else? It is seriously starting to bother me.

"Just stay on your guard." Killua says. Wow kid thanks for the jinks, but as I was listening to the wonderful noises of other's pain, we were swallowed up by some big animal. Killua and I pore some of Toupa's drink and the animal spits us out.

"I am still worried about Kurapika and Leorio." Gon says.

"Just forget about them, we can still catch the examiner." Killua says. Another reason why I like Killua better than Gon, he understands how to distinguish the people he needs to befriend and the people that can be left behind. Though I can sense much potential in both of them.

Killua takes off, but I know Gon is going to try and find Leorio and Kurapika, who just happen to be near Hisoka and a few dead people. I guess now is my chance to observe, I will just tell Killua I went to save my "brand new friends." I follow Gon and eventually go ahead of him and see Hisoka practically stalking toward Kurapika and Leorio. If Hisoka was actually trying, they would be already dead. But I can tell that he is trying to have fun with weak pray. Kurapika and Leorio jump in different directions, but stupidly Leorio comes back a few seconds later. I smirk, I hope he dies, stupid people shouldn't be allowed to live in this world. He charges toward Hisoka with a stick and when he swings it looks like it goes through Hisoka. Hisoka turns around and is about to kill Leorio when a fishing hook hits him in the face, Gon.