Day 19

Friday

"Honestly, Skylar, I'm starting to think that Boyd guy is a bad influence in you."

Skylar sighed, at herself and at the old man who was peeking at her from the doorway to the backroom. She smiled apologetically at him as she hung her overcoat and hat on the rack. She had nothing better to say at this point. She was starting to think that Ethan was a bad influence to her as well. If he hadn't been so warm and large and so cuddle-able, she wouldn't be late.

She was just wanting to apologize when he went ahead and said, "But I'm happy you're finally getting laid."

Her apologies all just vanished in a quick whoosh. She gave him a deadpanned look before she grabbed her book from her bag and sat on the armchair to start reading. "You need to get a hobby, Mr Kingston," she said.

"I have one. It's teasing you young people on and on about getting laid," he responded without hesitation, chuckling as he said it. That was obviously a joke. 

He didn't even have to say it and the whole town would know what his real hobby was. This bookstore was his hobby. Really, the man had enough money to just retire and live his life away in a nice little cottage with a nice little dog. Adam wouldn't even have to come back and he could actually go somewhere with his engineering degree. 

Skylar had asked Mr Kingston about it and he simply offered a smile and said, "This bookstore is more than just a bookstore."

"That's not a hobby. That's bullying." He snorted across the room. The place was so quiet this morning that they didn't even have to shout to hear each other. She looked up from her book and frowned. "Where is your son?"

"He's out. God knows where. Don't change the topic, lady. When is your man taking you out on a real date?"

"My what?"

"The guy you're screwing."

She was so glad he couldn't see her face right now as she sat there gobsmacked. She stared down at Dog who was completely ignorant of their exchanges. "Mr Kingston, must you be so crude?" She just couldn't keep her surprise from her voice.

"Yes."

She rolled her eyes, figuring that she should just let it go. Elsa's voice began to trickle into her head. She shook it away and answered, "Tonight, actually."

He hummed from the backroom. "Well, if he doesn't take you to Royal Lush, then you can just tell him to screw off  - let alone screw you."

Again, one wouldn't be able to imagine how glad she was that no one could see her face right now. She palmed her face and drew it down in slow motion, dragging her skin. "Don't you worry, Mr Kingston. Not that it's any of your business, he is taking me to Royal Lush." Well, the man better be.

"Good." After a short while of silence, he continued, "You deserve that much at least."

How could she not smile at that? "By the way, his name is Ethan!"

He made a dismissive noise. "Not that I care."

**

"Seriously?" Ethan should get used to John's not-so-glare glare at this point. "Two days in a row?" He took a longer look at John to gauge if he was really angry or just pretending. He had to be a really good actor or he was really angry. "Are you kidding me?" 

He couldn't believe it. He was six foot one, weighing by one hundred and eighty two pounds and he was a well built man. But he was cowering because of John's glare. He swallowed and didn't even dare to smile. He held up his hands in an appeasing gesture and lowered his head slightly.