#39. The Mind Reader »Nick

In the world, there mare many people with special powers; there's Movers, Pushers, Watcher, Shifters, Shadows, Sniffers. Then, there's me. I'm a Reader and I'm the last of my kind.

There aren't any other Readers in the world. The Division has captured most the other Readers and has killed them, my parents included. So it was up to me to keep the Readers alive and the only way I could do that was to keep under the radar of the Division. The Division never looked much into my parent's family life, so they didn't know that I was alive, which made things easier for me.

I moved to Hong Kong after a close friend of mine, a Watcher, told me I would meet someone who was going to change my life there. I had lived there for nearly 5 years before I met this person.

I loved watching the gambling obsessed bet away their life savings at stupid, rigged dice games. It was amusing. Each of the poor saps were thinking the same thing; "I'm going to win this time. This is my time. I'm going to win big". Each time, they were wrong.

It was on this particular day that I noticed something. At one of the games, I noticed, this one man kept winning. He had darker hair, "piercing" blue eyes, and was clearly American as he barley spoke the language the others did. However, the only reason I noticed him was because I couldn't read him. I heard the thoughts of all the men playing with him, but not his.

I made my way to his game and stood just across from this strange man. His attention was drawn to the dice about to be rolled, so I decided to wait to speak to him.

The dice rolled, it landed on a 2 and a 1. But just as it did, the dice with the 2 flipped as if it weren't finished rolling and landed on a 1. The other men groaned while this man cheered.

As he collected his winnings, I spoke, "Cheating is wrong, you know."

The man looked up at me while the rest of the players ignored, obviously not understanding what I said.

"Didn't cheat. I'm just lucky," he replied.

"Really? Cause it's weird how that dice MOVED like that."

The Mover's eyes widened and he quickly jumped up from his game, abandoning his money, to grab my arm and yank me away from the rest of the group. I struggled to stay on my feet as he yanked me to a private place to speak.

"Are you from the Division?" he asked.

"God no," I replied. "Sorry, I think we got off on the wrong foot. My name is Bella and I'm a Reader."

The Mover's eyebrows furrowed. "All the Readers are dead."

"Not all of them," I explained. "When I was 14, my parents were killed by the Division. The Division agents weren't smart enough to look into my family to see if they had anymore Readers."

"So there is more?"

I shook my head. "Not anymore. My parents were the last two. I'm the last Reader."

The Mover extended his hand. "My name's Nick Gant. As you already know, I'm a Mover."

I shook Nick's hand. "Nice to meet you. Why are you in Hong Kong?"

"Trying to stay under the Division's radar. You?"

"Same...kinda. Before I moved here, my Watcher friend told me she seen this vision of me in Hong Kong. Apparently I'm supposed to meet some guy who's going to change my life."

"Really? Have you met him yet?"

"No idea." I noticed the thoughtful look on Nick's face. "What?"

"When I was young, my dad told me a Watcher told him I was going to meet a young girl and the two of us were going to take down the Division together before the Division killed him. I'm not sure if you're the one-"

"I'm not young," I cut him off. "I'm 25. But...do you think you're-?"

"I have no idea," Nick replied. "I mean, it can't just be coincidence that we happened to meet today. We must've had plenty days."

"I don't know," I shrugged. "But I'm willing to see. When you meet this young girl and start taking down the Division, I wouldn't mind having a hand involved, too."

Nick smiled. "Perfect."

**********

I'm so sorry Bella, this sucked so much.