I. Chapter 4 | Part 2 - Aubree

Aubree felt like shit the next morning. She couldn't even pull herself out of bed when Dan got up to get ready for work. She just lay there on her side facing the wall, thinking about what happened the previous day.

Something had changed inside her. Dan's touch didn't excite her the way it had before, and she wanted it to. She desperately wanted to feel that spark she got when he kissed her passionately. The butterflies that swarmed her stomach when he trailed kisses over her breasts and down her navel.

What was wrong with her?

It's not like the sex was terrible. It was as incredible as it always was, but something was missing, and that scared her.

Had they lost the magic in their relationship already?

She rolled over, chiding herself that that couldn't be it. It was too soon for it to be gone—they had just moved in together.

Then why did it hurt inside so much?

Once she heard Dan leave the apartment, she pulled herself up and went into the bathroom. She scowled at her reflection in disgust. Her honey brown hair was matted in huge knots from tossing and turning all night. Her hazel eyes had huge puffy bags underneath. Her creamy white skin looked all splotchy as if she'd been crying when she hadn't.

"Look at yourself. You're a mess."

She picked up her brush to tame her hair before getting in the shower.

She went to the café for breakfast, but even the delicious pastries didn't entice her this time. She ordered her coffee and sat down at an empty table in one of the corners.

She sat there for an hour, glancing at the door and scrolling through her phone as a distraction.

She knew why she was there, and she was disappointed when he didn't show up. What was his angle? Why go through the trouble of scaring her half to death and then walking away? It didn't make sense.

She strolled around the neighborhood again that day, but even the strange sensation she had gotten in the days prior was gone. She could walk comfortably in the morning sunlight and enjoy it for a change, but no. Not today. The sun was cold on her skin and she hugged herself to keep warm even though it was a warm morning in May.

The day passed by uneventfully, as did the next. And the next.

By Friday morning, she had pretty much given up. She'd never see him again.

For some reason, it disappointed her. She didn't even know his name, for god's sake.

She'd arrived that morning a little earlier than usual at the café, and the morning rush was still in full swing. She waited in a small line for her turn when a woman bumped into her from behind.

"Oh! I'm so sorry," she said looking at Aubree over a book with apologetic chocolate brown eyes.

Aubree smiled at the brunette with her long, rich, copper-flecked brown hair that hung in loose waves over her shoulders. She looked to be about the same age as Aubree, maybe a year or two younger, slim and trim, and a few inches taller as well.

"That's okay," Aubree said. "It's a little crowded in here anyway."

The woman's eyes widened a touch. "I know, right? I come here all the time, but never this early!"

Aubree blinked in surprise at her. "Really? I'm only fifteen minutes earlier than I usually get here and I've never seen you before. I am new in town though."

The brunette tucked her book into a large sunshine yellow purse hanging off her right shoulder. "Oh, you're new? When did you move in?"

Aubree gave her a friendly smile, realizing that the woman was trying to engage her in friendly chitchat as they stood in line. She fully expected the woman to bid her farewell and leave once she placed her order, but instead, she picked up her tea and continued chatting away with Aubree as she moved to a table by the window.