Bonding

The Shawn and Hakeem bonding started with a casual dinner at a basic diner that served Southern and Creole cooking. It had been Shawn's taste for finer foods that she was driven to taste something so underrated. Her favorite foods quickly became Collard Greens and Dirty Rice.

'Hey, touch my food again!' Hakeem shouted as he hid his food from Shawn's fork. She was desperately trying to get another taste of his collard greens. 'No, we are sharing! You love me, right?!' Shawn's response had him laughing evilly as he smacked her hand away.

She pouted and crossed her arms.

Her mind was thinking about how to get him back... Maybe stick him with the check. Shawn almost burst out laughing as Hakeem hurriedly slumped his collard greens into his mouth before Shawn could rip them from out of his lips.

'Okay, I'm sorry. I'll order us some to take him, though. We have one more stop to make.' Shawn stated as she waved the waitress over.

After they left, Hakeem was more open to talking about how he felt with his career and this Empire takeover. She listened wholeheartedly as this was a family business that the two would enjoy for years to come. When she talked to Lucious, it had been to set him on edge so he knew she was a threat.

'Man, you brought me to a gun range. This is whoa! Did you just see that big hole he put in that cardboard cut out?' Hakeem was so excited as he watched women and men shoot off rounds. Shawn had gotten a gun when she was fifteen being in a predominantly Republican family that believed guns were necessary. 'Watch and learn, big bro!'

Shawn had grabbed a Glock out of the gun registry, signed her name and what she took, and went to a free station. She pulled on the big sound blockers and goggles before aiming at her pretend assailant. Hakeem watched with interest as she pulled the trigger, not once, but three times.

A bullet was dead in the center of the cutout's head, another one in the chest near the heart, and the other in a very private place where Hakeem seemed to hold unconsciously.

'Damn, where'd you learn that GTA or Black Ops?' Hakeem wondered as he thought to get his own gun and join her. 'Never played GTA before and no, I learned from my dad. He took me hunting when I was sixteen and bought me my own shotgun rifle which is still back home. Do you want to learn to shoot? Or you going to let your baby sister outshine you in something?' Shawn teased as she placed her gun down after putting it on safety.

This made him stick out his chest like he was too cocky and prideful to let that happen. Shawn just rolled her eyes and went to get him something easy. It may have had a bit of a kickback, but a revolver was nice to practice with.

'Here you go, bro.' Shawn smirked as she told him how to put the gun in safety, how to cock it, and how to shoot correctly. 'Give it a go.'

Hakeem breathed deeply before he let off three shots like Shawn. It was a disaster. He had one on the edge of the cutout and the others weren't even close. So she got behind him, lifted it to the proper height, and told him to relax a little. Hakeem felt her warmth and smelled her perfume. It made him think of Camille, but in a platonic way.

'Squeeze it just as you let out that breath and try to stay planted.' Shawn whispered as she took a step back.

After their session, Hakeem looked exhausted. He had gotten it right on the fifth try, luckily Shawn wasn't an impatient bitch. She was reminded of her first time.

'So you grew up in a white family that loved you despite your color.' Hakeem started slowly as they wound down with a short drive.

Shawn smiled as she thoughtful to he parents of 18 years. It would be futile to forget everything they had provided for her. She wanted them to be apart of her career and life.

'They raised me the same way. I don't judge anyone other than those who I have seen true colors of. Like Lucious' fiancee or ex-fiancee trying to bring down the Empire.' Shawn raised a brow to see if her brother caught on without much information. He did. She smirked before further explaining his need to protect himself from the storm coming up.

--

Cookie brought a hand up as she let the bartender give her a drink. The lonely woman felt empty at the moment. She had yet to put down the manager clipboard and give her daughter the proper bonding they needed. It was hard...

'Glad I ran into you...' Cookie raised a brow at Sharon Steelson, powerful looking white woman, and then ordered a separate drink for the woman. 'So, how's our girl? Antonio is going crazy and I'm worried about her. Is she fitting in well?' The classy woman looked dressed for a business meeting and didn't look the type to be caught in a back alley bar.

Sharon took the drink as a peace offering before throwing it back like a pro. Cookie smirked. She didn't like too many white people in this world because they suppressed her and every one of her race like it was their favorite pastime. But Sharon was different and didn't care that Cookie was a shade different then she.

'She's fine. Pursuing her dream to show the world how talented she is... Can I ask you something?'

'Anything.'

'Did you ever look at her and wish she were your own flesh and blood? Did you ever hold back from her the love that every child deserves? Are you scared of losing her?'

Cookie waited as she stared into the brown liquor with a thoughtful gleam behind her slightly cloudy eyes. Sharon wasted no time with her answer.

'For the first question, I don't regret taking her in and sometimes yes, I did wish she was my own child. Secondly, I never held an ounce of my love for her back while she was growing up. Last but not least, I would ask you in return...but now that you are real and present, I do fear that our bond will be broken.'

Sharon sat quietly as she thought of ways to keep this love from killing her. Shawn had been a blessing to her when everything seemed hopeless. Now she was staring at the back of her daughter's head wondering if she would turn around to acknowledge her stares.

It was a matter of time, right?

Love conquers all, right?

We'll see.